Thread: A Lie-Nielsen Gloat

A Lie-Nielsen Gloat

Her's a picture of my #8 jointer from last weekends Woodcraft sale and my shop essentials.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Hey, congrats, Michael! Now that is the BIG boy, isn't it? Looks like a splendid addtion to your "family"!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Talking

Congratulations. That's a beauty. I'm sure it will serve you well. You have a great collection there.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Nice score. I brought home the LA Jack and it impressed me so much (so THAT'S why God invented hand planes!) that I decided to add a few more. So I picked up the #85 scraping plane and the Model 100 Model maker's plane (unfortunately after the sale) and ordered the LA smoother and 60 1/2 block (Woodcraft was out of stock after the sale). Luckily the annual bonus check showed up just in time. I already had the Medium Shoulder plane, so I went from 1 LN to 6 in a week. Or I will when the orders come in.

By the way, that Model 100 is wonderful. I picked it up as a 'what the heck' item to use on easing or rounding edges but I'm finding more and more uses for it. I was finishing up a desk Saturday and must have used it at least 7 or 8 times for various tasks.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky
    Nice score. I brought home the LA Jack and it impressed me so much (so THAT'S why God invented hand planes!) that I decided to add a few more. So I picked up the #85 scraping plane and the Model 100 Model maker's plane (unfortunately after the sale) and ordered the LA smoother and 60 1/2 block (Woodcraft was out of stock after the sale). Luckily the annual bonus check showed up just in time. I already had the Medium Shoulder plane, so I went from 1 LN to 6 in a week. Or I will when the orders come in.

By the way, that Model 100 is wonderful. I picked it up as a 'what the heck' item to use on easing or rounding edges but I'm finding more and more uses for it. I was finishing up a desk Saturday and must have used it at least 7 or 8 times for various tasks.

Cliff
    Wow, you scored BIG time, Cliff! Good for you on the "alleged" new pieces (no pics???? ). Any-the-who, how do you like that 85? I'm kind of tossed between it and the 112, though my buddy tells me the 85 is a bit easier to handle, as it's not as wide. Comments?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I originally was going to get the 112, but after thinking about it I decided the #85 was better for what I was looking to do. The thing I especially like is that with the #85's full width blade and tilting handles, I can scrape right up flush to a vertical surface, say like with an inset panel. Of course, normally the panel should be scraped before gluing in, but there are times I've caught something after asssembly I missed and this gives me a second chance.

I've only tried it on some scrap as I'm in the middle of the finishing stage of a project, but right out of the box it made some lovely fine curls.

Cliff

4X Sweet!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky
    By the way, that Model 100 is wonderful. I picked it up as a 'what the heck' item to use on easing or rounding edges but I'm finding more and more uses for it.
    Cliff
    I picked one up on a whim during the Woodcraft sale too and it's the greatest little thing. I had been looking at the Collins "Bunny Plane" for a while, but am glad I waited for the LN, it fits the hand so well.