Thread: low bar and cabinets

low bar and cabinets

My neighbour asked me to look into building a low bar, for sitting on the floor at. (This would be a materials only job -no commision. Although I'm sure he would often something from his very nice wine collection) It's an L-shape with a tall cabinet type of part at the left hand side looking at the picture below.

bar sketch.jpg

He has a bookcase for his collection and wants to be able to sit down and have a drink and read or just look at his collection. THe bookcase is factory made and appears to be made from edge laminated pine (or something a little harder) sheet stock with a dark stain or more likely a coloured varnish.

He wants the bar and end closet to be similar in colour to the bookcase.

Thinking of just some boxes connected up and then fix a thicker bar top on top.

For reducing the cost I am thinking of just using birch ply sheet for some boxes and then put them together and put some doors on. This could end rather expensive anyway and staining or colouring the ply I am not sure of. It may go a bit splotchy.?? Then just trim the ply edges with pine. The wood will come from the borg here.

Or use edge laminated pine sheet stock (cheaper) to make up the boxes and the doors. I figure this wood since it is wood and not ply might finish a bit better and I wouldn't need to trim the edges so much. My main concern with this method is stabilty of the material used for the doors.

I don't want to do traditional joinery with it as it would become a major project and I am not set up for that yet. But cuting and bit of plaing sheet material is not a big problem.

He said he is happy with flat face doors and just wants push spring magnetic latches. No hardware. He is after cheap but similar colour.

Question, if I used the edge laminated pine sheet stock for flat doors (basically just a board), will the doors be stable or will they warp?

Comments on finishing and on the construction would be welcome. Once I get a design I can price some wood and let him know the bad news and let him decide.

Robert

Blog Entries
    Great idea... I always got tired of falling off those darn bar stools.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I'm having a real hard time picturing a bar where you sit on the floor. It looks like there's a space for a bar tender on the other side of the bar, so it's not just a low table. Maybe this is a Japanese design or maybe I just don't drink enough or the right kind of wine.

Regardless, it seems like the main challenge is in matching the present book case. Perhaps there would be some ideas on the finishing forum.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Yeah Von, that falling off the bar stool thing hurts.

They will also sit on a low sofa so it will be high enough for that.

John, your right in that it is not just a table. He wants cupboards underneath with a bit of knee room at the front as you look at the picture.
    The space behind (between the existing book shelves and the bar is mainly to get around and have accesss to the books. You need to open the glass panel doors.

my main concern is if I used the edge laminated pine sheet stock to make the flat doors, will they warp. If that is not a problem then it is basically a numbe of open boxes on their side or end with some doors attached.

John, you got me thinking about the finishing with your comments. If the doors were sealed with a finish they should be pretty stable and shouldn't warp, would that be right? This is what I am not sure of. I've used the material for tops and it is pretty stable laying flat. Just not sure as doors.

Anyway thanks for your input.

Robert

Maybe some of the sealers or gel stains may help with blotcheness?

Darn, that looks uncomfortable..least to this old bod..

Maybe a bit more knee room than what's showing?

Al......who at least could be at a bar and would have a excuse for laying on the floor...finally
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Hi Al,

The pic shown was the initial design sketch so I could talk to him about it and to get an idea for the cost.

It will end up a bit higher; enough to sit on a low sofa and there will be a small over hang to get a bit of knee under the edge. The problem will be that I will have a limited counter top width but he wants some doored storage under. This storage won't be able to be very deep so I have to work out a design that will function the way he wants, and be stable when pressure is applied to the counter AND look nice. I think my "thinking cap needs the batteries replaced or something. It doesn't seem to be working so well.

Comfort sitting on the floor?...Well this is Japan. A lot of people now have western style furniture but many people still sit on the floor at some time or someplace. Izakaya (sort of eating pub) and traditional restaurants etc and at home etc. So everyone is used to sitting on the floor, usually on a cushion (called a "zabuton") or on a tatami floor which is quite comformtable (not hard). You do get used to it but it can be a bit tuff on the knees for most westerners.

It's quite good actually. When you've had enough you just fall over, ooops sorry , that should read "lay down".

Robert