Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who abandoned their flatwork all-together after buying a lathe??

Have not totally

All i can say is that the Flat work did tend to take the back seat, but she said your turning work is realy beautiful but what about the other stuff you do?

So explaind that i do use basically all the other machines for the Segmented Bowls, but i do the book shelf, toy chest,ect. and you know the other requests.

Yes I think more about the lathe but, always ready for Flat Work.
    Start square and you will finish square

I started with turning a few years back, and was expanding into flat work, but haven't been able to do anything for over a year now. We sold our house and work shop (the three car attached garage) last year. We've got a new place now, but had to build a pole barn (30x54) where 1/2 is going to be shop. Got shop designed and all the materials needed to partion the barn, but haven't been able to get it done (that's hubby's job).

I haven't stopped collecting tools...I mean expanding my equipment and supplies while I've been waiting to get back into the swing of it. Unfortunately, I do draw the line at doing wood working in my bed room, guest room, office, or dining room. The tools and supplies can be stored in the house, but they have to remain clean and/or covered. With the weather breaking here, I am optimistic I'll be able to join to vortex and flat landers in the very near future.

Thumbs up

Guilty here as well. I filled my house up with flatwork items. Now it looks like I'm going to fill my house with bowls.

MikeT

i still do a little flat work ( very little actually)

damn vortex

GUILTY, My two table saws are my bench for my lathe to sit on. My compressor is only to blow chips around te garage. My router has found a good new home, hand planes left to rust and collect dust. Actually the worst part, I actually paid someone to convert and refurbish an old radio cabinet into a toy storage bin for my kids. Added 6 drawers and a shelf, rebuilt a door and some cove molding. I coulda done it my self but I was busy..........
    Last edited by TYLER WOOD; 03-12-2007 at 10:14 AM.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Not Guilty. I use my lathe, but more often than not my shop time is spent on flat work. I enjoy both aspects of woodwork, however.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Guilty...I bought a new Jointer & Bandsaw more than 2 1/2 years ago...
    I've since added a riser kit to the bandsaw to cut bigger blanks for bowls
    & haven't ran the jointer yet, still covered up in the corner. The table saw
    got used 3 weeks ago for the first time in 2 years...had to cut some 2x4's
    to glue up for a segmented 2x4 bowl contest in our club.

Guilty...

...as charged here too. Been hacking wood into various levels of submission for a long time with limited success. Found turning and haven't been the same since. Now I'd like to learn more flatwork to expand my capabilities. I also still have an incomplete workbench for about 2 years now.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Not I - guess i'm among the few who manages to still do both. The abyss got me, i bought all the equipment (chisels, chuck, grinder, etc). But I'd be surprised if I ever completely fell into doing mostly turning. It's the best of both worlds

Now ... if you guys can help a fella turn an entertainment center or a bed, i'm all ears. But until the particle board has been replaced in my house, i've got lotsa flat work projects floating around.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

At the beginning of the year i would have submitted a guilty plea. However, since then I have been "voluntold" BMBH, that I was going to build new vanities for four bathroom remodels, AND build a baby cradle for a friend. Well the cradle was completed a few weeks ago but this weekend I was informed by a niece and nephew (NO, not brother and sister) that they were both expecting and heard that I had already built one cradle and would I PLEASE make them one too. So as much as it's killing me to be in the same room as the lathe and not have enough time to use it family right now is taking forcing me to put spinning on the back burner. But I will return to the abyss as soon as possible.

Tony

Guilty, but trying to get reformed a little...... very little

I left flatowrk behind for a year, but I'm slowly getting back into making small jewelry boxes and the like, they can be pretty fun too. When I'm all growed up I'm NOT getting a lathe first because I know I won't be able to get my shop in order otherwise.
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com