Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alone in the wilderness

Alone in the wilderness

Did anyone see the Dick Preonekke story" Alone in the wilderness" ? A machinist by trade, decides at age 51 to move to remote Alaska and lives there for 30 years. You should see what this man was capable of with a few hand tools. Saw, axe, hatchet, drawknife, hammer, auger drill bits, chisels. The cabin he built was probably constructed better than my current home. and in a much more beautiful setting. It humbled me.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

What an icredible guy, he moved out at 93 (?) just because he was tired of it. Not that he couldnt do it anymore.

My favorite scene is where he describes the cabin as a "balmy 45 degrees" and he is having soup (they show him putting some of all 20 seasonings he has in it) without a shirt on saying "just the way I like it, everything but the kitchen sponge".

That show was like a dream almost. The ideas that you could be so hard working and independent and at 51 to start. He made everything from wood. Door hinges/lock etc. and even brought his tools without handles and made them there.

Amazing story and amazing man. A testament to the human will.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Hmm, Netflix has not heard of this movie. Where do you find it?
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

It was shown on PBS. He had amazing skills for sure. Made it look so simple and quick, and I know full well it was neither. Both awe inspiring and humbling for sure.
    Ken

I did see that movie, on the public channel, I to was amazed at what he was able to do with just a few hand tools. You know after seeing it I seriously thought about doing the same thing, but then I got married. Just as well though I think I would have gotten bored, didn’t the guy live there for like twenty or more years.
    Hermit. Kind of sad all that talent and he used it selfishly.

Hi Martin, Amazon has it if you want to purchase it.

Nothing sad about living one's life as they see fit.

Take care, Mike

Heck ,I keep trying to talk my wife into doing the same thing but NO-GO This guys saw lines were STRRR-AIGHT.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Folks........I don't normally post here but I saw that special a few months ago. I would very much like to get his book and the video. This guy was incredible. It was stunning to watch how he handled making all that stuff with hand tools and the ingenuity he showed in substituting materials that we take for granted in the modern world. Fantastic show if you get a chance to see it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I saw part of it and it was inspiring. Inspiring enough for my wife to look at me and say NOO WAY before I even talked to her about it.

The man shows how independent we are capable of being and how we can solve problems on our own. I'd be up there the first day and lamenting that I can't Google to find out what kind of tree I'm looking at. He'd be laying the foundation for his winter cabin.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow
    That show was like a dream almost. The ideas that you could be so hard working and independent and at 51 to start. He made everything from wood. Door hinges/lock etc. and even brought his tools without handles and made them there.
    Yeah right - how do you make wooden hinges without an Incra Hingemaster??

Seriously, the national park service also sells the series (I believe there is one book and two videos although the second video is no where near as good).

You can actually still visit Dick's cabin, but the park service has turned it into a bit more of a tourist trap than its original state.

There was a thread here a few years back where some of our own creekers took 1 hour and tried to duplicate the wooden spoon that Proenicke so easily crafted from a piece of wood and a knife before our eyes.

I was amazed that his reason for leaving after all those years was that he just couldn't take the winters anymore.

Ron

What was also interesting about that was the background that was given during the inevitable pledge breaks. Apparently he did the longest continuous natural study of wolves ever undertaken. He also filmed all that with a Kodak movie camera with a clockwork mechanism fixed on a tripod.

He injured himself at one point and was out of the cabin for a few days, I forget how, sprained ankle I think, and he had to drag himself back to the cabin.

Really remarkable and not something that just anyone could attempt, but inspiring nevertheless.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

He was (is) an amazing man. I saw it in PBS and now have the book and DVD. I've given it to others as a gift. Great DVd for a snowy day when you're under the weather...I respect his skill immensely.
    Jerry

14. Yeah, I caught this on PBS a few years ago. I've since purchased the DVD and book. The book is worth reading. Especially the last few pages where Dick reflects on his life in Alaska vs. more modern living. Proud to say I'm from the same state as Dick, good old Iowa! I've wanted to build a cabin ever since I saw this video. Catch it if you can.

for those who would like to see this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...68723641783807

Ken