Thread: 5" Duct - am I bucking the system?

5" Duct - am I bucking the system?

First post here - but I've already gotten some great info from all of you. Thanks for your input.

I'm setting up my shop in my basement slowly but surely. I started with a Sawstop (3hp, 52" fence) and got a Delta 1.5hp DC. In the same article in FWW that reviewed this DC as a good one I recalled their saying it was better to run 5" hose to the machine and then reducing to 4" there (if needed) as opposed to 4" at the DC. So I did that - no problem.
    Now I have a 20" planer ('99 Woodtek) that has a 5" output and want to tie that into the DC.

The questions:
    Notes: I don't want anything permanent/mounted as the basement is a bit small and only the tablesaw will be permanent. I'm using 5" flex duct so far.
    1. I haven't located any 5" Y that I would put at the DC to go to my two 5" hoses (tablesaw and planer). Am I not looking in the right place?
    2. Both local and on-line sources seem to have plenty of 4" fittings. So are most people just using the 4" and I'm going against the grain with the 5"?
    3. I could use the 4" Y that came with the DC and then convert right back up to 5" at the DC but would I still benefit from the 5" duct going to the machines?
    4. Are there any recommendations on quick-connect options? The planer will be on a mobile base so I'll hopefully be disconnecting it at the DC when not in use.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Air Handling Systems, Oneida Air Systems and Kencraft can all supply you with the 5" dust collection format wyes you need. Do remember that a "flex hose only" collection system seriously compromises air flow due to resistance in the hose, even if you lucked out and found smooth interior format hose. If you must use hose only, moving the DC from machine to machine with only a short length of flex will provide the best performance.

Oh, and welcome to SMC!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

5 in. duct Y

Try your local heating/cooling dist. orPennState www.pennstateind.com
    Good Luck Jim Gerus Crawfordville Fl.

Blog Entries
    Welcome Matt. As others have noted there are sources for your 5" Y and I would go that way. My small DC has two Y's and blast gates on all feeds creating a kind of manifold very close to the DC. This allows me the flexibility of flex hose runs (no pun intended) without having the "spongy" hose in play when not required. that is I gate at the DC not at the machine. This keeps the hose idle when not in use. Again, welcome.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

quick replies - thanks! Easy Connects/Disconnects?

Thanks for the fast replies. I'll hit a local HVAC on tehe 5" Y.

Any of you have a good recommendation on a fast connect/disconnect system to allow the 5" hose to be pulled from either the machine or DC quickly when not in use?

Matt, be aware that HVAC wyes are "backwards" relative to the crimps...air flow in HVAC systems is the opposite direction from dust collection. The vendors I mentioned above also sell quick disconnect systems...be sure you are sitting down...they are not inexpensive. You may want to consider making your own.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use 6" duct work terminating in 5" blast gates and use 5" flex hose. If I need to step down to 4" I do that at the machine. Machines have 4" duct ports because the designers are idiots.

Blog Entries
    Where there's one, there must be more:

SM-60064
    5" Quick adapter (5" thread)
    SM-60064 - $6.40 - Can. funds

SM-60106
    5" Y
    SM-60106 - $15.30 - Can.

http://www.nicks.ca/dust.html
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Woodworker's Supply also has the 5" DC fittings.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Welcome to the Creek!
    You'll find so much information here, its overload very quickly (but that's a good thing)
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown