Thread: Steel City or Rikon Mini Lathes

Steel City or Rikon Mini Lathes

I'm looking at getting a mini and have reads lots of posts and opinions on the Jets. Has anyone had any experience on the two new units offered by Steel City and Rikon?

I have the Rikon 12-16, like it a lot. I've done spindle and face work, the learning curve is steep, but I've managed a few decent pieces. Largest bowl so far started at 12" diameter and ended up at 10-1/4". After the Rikon came out, Jet redesigned the 10-14 to better compete. I think the Rikon is equivalent to the new Jet 1220 except the new Jet is 20" between centers which would be nice. The Rikon has easy access to the belts making it extremely quick and easy to change speeds. Has a dust cover over the motor. Haven't seen the new Jet so I'm not sure if there are any other changes to it. Both are worth checking out.
    Dale

I have the Rikon and it has been good so far. For $250 you can't go wrong. That is just my humble opinion. By far the Rikon is the easiest to change the belt on.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I bought a Rikon last October that had multiple defects. I took it back and bought a Delta Midi to replace it. The Rikon Mini has some nice features but of course that doesn't mean anything if it is unreliable. I'm in the minority on this subject in this forum, and maybe I did get a one-in-a-thousand that turned out to be a defect, but it doesn't help to believe that when it's you who's having to deal with the problem.

I have no experience with Steel City products, but having read some things about them, I would certainly choose a SC over a Rikon. The SC wasn't an option for me last year or I might have purchased one then.

Take a look at some of the others available, including the Woodtek. The Woodtek is currently on sale at Woodworker's Supply for $243.99, it's a 6-speed, 10" swing, 15" between centers. I have one, and it is a workhorse. If and when you order, use source code IR1C - inventory reduction sale.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I don't have much experience turning, and the Rikon is only my second lahe, but I like it. It has a design flaw with the spindle lock/indexing pin, but all in all I am very happy with it. It is very easy to change speeds, has some nice features, and runs quietly and smooth as silk. If I were buying right now, I would look seriously at the new jet 12x20 also.

I bought the Rikon based on feedback at a class I took. I have not had any problems with it and it is a decent price.