Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Good Morning everyong......

Weather has been really nice here and I've been enjoying what little time I've had to get out and just enjoy being out "in" the weather.

Still working on the dresser project, while it's getting close to being done. I bet some of you think, "you know, that Dennis sure does take a long time to get things done."...well, I'm sorry to say that I do take a long time to get things done. Well, I may be slow.....but I'm "sure".

Tried to spend as much time with the family as I could this weekend and it's back out in the shop today.

Played bass on Sunday, and I've also started a new bass guitar course to help me improve my knowledge of music and improve my "groove skills". Some say that it will make me a widely rounded. Shoot, I'm round enough, why do I want to get any more round.

Any way, what did YOU do this weekend???

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Finished my storage unit for the Drill Press. It'll sure help out in my crowded shop. The unit is on casters so it can be easily moved if the table needs to be lowered below 32 inches. Dick B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This was unfortunately a "zero woodworking" weekend. Saturday, I had swimming and karate duty followed by taking Nastia to the horse camp we are likely going to enroll her in for the summer and then sneaker shopping followed by the playground/park. And then it was time for my belated birthday dinner...I was in Miami this week and missed celebrating with the family on Monday the 5th. So we went to my favorite local sushi restaurant (Oishi in Newtown PA) for dinner and then back home for cake an a "show". (the girlie-girls singing and dancing, more or less) Here's evidence of the cake...

candles.jpg

Sunday, I tackled an important final "homeowner" site prep task and moved a mature dogwood tree to a new location on our property. We're into permitting and will hopefully be able to "break ground" for the addition "soon". In addition, I moved some of the good soil to the old well in the front of the house to use as a planter since we have the big pond off the back patio now and also spread the remaining stone over the parking area. The weather was unexpectedly beautiful, so it was a nice day to be outdoors. The girls actually played outside a lot more than normal, too.

Next weekend...I'll hopefully be back in the shop! Lots to do...

Dennis, I also have a somewhat growing well-rounded problem, although I haven't picked up my bass in many, many years...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-12-2007 at 11:14 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I actually did some woodworking this weekend! Actually, Saturday was a day to get stuff done. I grouted some tile I replaced, replaced a bad outlet (found the freezer wasn't running BEFORE everything thawed), and designed and built a small hanging shelf. This is a prototype design for a friend's Texas-themed website. Then yesterday afternoon I glued a french cleat on the shelf--backwards. I was sitting inside and realized it, then rushed out to the shop to chisel it off and fix it. Doh!

The shelf is pecan. I love the smell of sawing pecan.

Weekends Accomplishments

The weather here was nice enough to allow for the shop doors to roll up for Sat & Sunday. After finishing the dresser and putting it in its final resting place....(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=544437&page=2), it was time for Spring Clean Up. Although after reconfiguring the kids room for the new bed & dresser... LOML is now on "we need to do something with the computer" that is tactfully displayed on the floor in said childs room.
    I hauled of nearly a full pick up load of off cuts, scrap and pieces of just about everything being saved for who knows what..... also moved all stationary items and fully shop vac'ed etc etc etc... all the sudden the shop seems bigger and certainly cleaner.

Great Weather Teaser

Here in the Chicagoland area it was the nicest weekend since fall (I'd say). Everyone in the neighborhood was outside. Kids at the park...

So I had to go outside as well! Instead of doing the electrical work in the basement and working on the outfeed table (as I mentioned in Friday's Weekend Doin's) I spent Sunday outside working on the garage. It has been a TOTAL mess since we moved in this past December and it hasn't been warm to work on it.

I spent a lot of time moving the compressor around and building the little stand / modifing the pallet. At this time it looks like I have to put it on the opposite wall of where I had the 220 circuit ran (outlet is right next to snow blower, you can't see it in the pic). Not happy about that, but I ran a homemade extension cord on the ceiling to take care of this (12G wire, just as in the wall).

The big mistake came when I asked the wife to put oil in the compressor! She filled it alright! Right to the top! (which I didn't check till AFTER i turned it on and it started running all over) Needless to say after an hour of cleaning and draining everything is under control. Their is a nice oil mark on the floor now. Tried some TSP, but it didn't do it (any suggestions?)

Here is what the garage looks like now! Gonna make some Cabinets some day for that countertop in the back and then put in some uppers as well.

Also I managed to get all the junk organized out of the way of the service door now, so you can actually use it now.

g1.jpg g2.jpg

Once the weather stays warm I will paint the walls and epoxy the floor.

Oh, and I did sneak down to the lathe and made this pen real quick

p2.jpg
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

This weekend I spent time cleaning and tuning up all of my shop equipment. Most everything was setup pretty good already, except for my contractor table saw - I now know why I was getting burning, smoke, and unsquare cuts!

The miter slot to blade was out by .072" !! After adjusting, it is now out by only .0005". The fence was out of parallel by .037". After adjustment, it is within .001". What a difference the setup made - my saw cuts very smooth now.

All of the setup was done with shop made setup tools (except for a dial indicator). I got the setup tools from the following book:

Care and Repair of Shop Machines: A Complete Guide to Setup, Troubleshooting, and Maintenance ($14.56 at Amazon)

At $14.56, this was a much better purchase than trying to get some of the pre-made shop setup tools.

I am now ready to start my next project - a Cherry and Walnut end table. Just need to wait for some extra money so I can get the wood.

Have fun,
    David Genrich

A good weekend in the shop. Took an extra (and much needed) day off Thurs. A good start and made some progress on a planer stand although not as much as I hoped. Enjoyed some nice early spring weather Sat. with the LOML taking her to the Southern Ideal Home Show in Greensboro and wherever else she wanted to go and do. Alot of lounging around yesterday (heavy emphisis on the lounge part).
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Saturday was go shopping with the wife day, but I did manage to get her to swing by Rockler and spent a bit there, got the Wixley angle gauge, some right angle clamps, a rabbiting bit set and a arm load of other stuff....
    Saturday late afternoon got into the shop and worked on the finishing of the last CD cabinet, Sunday got it done and in the house...finally.
    This one looks a lot better than the previous one, but I think I'll pick one more practice project before the kitchen cabinets and the expensive plywood.
    Weather was great, back yard turned into a swimming pool and the dog spent all day playing in it, mud and all....color Beasty unhappy....

Al

Decided to bite the bullet and reroute some dust collection pipe to bring my new to me MM16 (drive-by gloat) and jointer into the list of dust-collected machines. Wife finally was able to put forth a convincing enough argument for my re-installing some molding in the house so that was Sunday afternoon.

Got the laser shop cleaned up - finally!! Got the doors for the guest-room cabinets fitted and stained, ready to spray with lacquer. Turned six pens, then worked for four hours on an Excel table of machines and tools we are helping a friend try to sell. May have a local buyer, but if not, you may see more on this later.

Hope everyone has a great week! 11 days until vacation!!!!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Great weekend
    Weather was beautiful.
    Did a little Irish dining and dancing at the new place. met a lot of my neighbors and hooked up with creeker Rick Schubert.
    A lot of shop time but it was all electrical.
    Heated up the new Sub panel and all the smoke stayed in.
    Have a safe week.
    TJH
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Progress on a rocking horse and refinishing a table

Made progress on a rocking horse for my nephew, and put a first layer of polyurethane on a table, where it blistered in weird ways on three of the pieces. So I'll have to sand those back down and figure out what went wrong...

But the rocking horse is coming together nicely.

Blog Entries
    Winter is over in SoCal. Broke 100 yesterday and is in the 80's today. Low this week - 79. Shop doors open, shirts off, yeah buddy!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I accomplished this on Saturday:

My first taste of the Green

Spent a lot of time trying out the sander and vac and cleaning the shop on Sunday.