Thread: Used jointer, what to look for...

Used jointer, what to look for...

Hi,

From time to time I see used jointers on Craigslist. Lately there has been a couple of Reliant 6" jointers w/cabinet as well as a 6" Delta 37-195. I do not know any of these two in details so I googled and found out that they are older models and the delta have had some issues with the fence not being flat. The reliant appears to be a cheap model and its knife adjustments are more challenging. Prices I have see ranges around $300-$350 for the delta and $100-150 for the reliant.

Now, I'm only doing this on hobby basis and my workspace is very limited so while I'm a tool junkie I have to limit my self to something that gives me most bang for the $$. Is one of these used machines to prefer over a Ridgid 6" new jointer ?

If I start looking at these in person I plan to bring a square and a straight edge to check for flatness etc. A piece of wood to try the machine, if the seller do not have a test piece (if they can be powerd on). But is there other things recommended to check ?

Thanks
    Michael

Hello Michael! These issues have been well-covered in many many threads in SMC. You have addressed the main issues already.

My next #1 concern is jack screws (allen-head socket screws) for adjusting the knives up and down in the cutter head. These little jack screws (2 per knife) will save you hours of knife installation time. #2 would be excessive vibration when running, or noises in the motor or cutter head bearings.

Jointers are pretty simple machines compared to any others. Flat and functional are the prime concerns! A Delta will probably net you more at resale than other lesser brands. So, consider price as an investment also! But, if you are pinching pennies, anything that meets your needs right now is better than no jointer at all!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 03-25-2009 at 9:54 AM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Cool thanks!. Nice to know about jack screws. Having to spend less time adjusting the knives is a good thing. Second point is appreciated as well.

Any one know if the Delta and Ridgid have these ?

I have the newer RIDGID jointer and it does have the jack screws. Changing and adjusting the knives is a snap with just a straightedge.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wildt View Post
    Cool thanks!. Nice to know about jack screws. Having to spend less time adjusting the knives is a good thing. Second point is appreciated as well.

Any one know if the Delta and Ridgid have these ?

I have a 37-190 Delta Jointer and it has the jack screws. Or more like a set screw into a small black metal piece.

Still... It's not a walk in the park setting up the blades because once you set the level of the blades using a jack screw, you have to tighten the blade secure and the level may change a hair or less when tightening.

Thus, you have to compensate for all these factors in order to set each blade the right level and equal. Setting up a jointer is time consuming so it's not like you'll be setting it up very often anyways..

If buying a used one. I'd Look and feel if the blades are sharp because they're expensive and any damage to these might need new blades. (Or they can be sharpened)

If you bring a straight edge you can check the flatness of the top and fence, though I don't know if the cast iron surfaces on the Delta's get that bad... So I'd probably skip this.

You can quickly check and see if all the adjustment levers and bolts are there.

Finally, If possible I'd turn it on to check for strange noises and vibrations.

Ask the seller about the history too. I would prefer to buy one lightly used by a single owner hobbyist.

I would personally avoid power tools with the Reliant name the ones I have had are a slight bit nicer than Harbor freight stuff but I would classify them as a pain to use, but at $100 I wouldn't say it was overpriced.They were the House brand of Trendlines and Posttool both companies that went out of business a while ago. I think in the used jointer market with a little patience you can find some really sweet deals.
    Tom

Thanks guys!

You gave me good information that I can use when looking/testing one.

Michael

I purchased a slightly used Ridgid 06101 6" jointer on ebay about 5 months ago. It was in great shape. I paid $215 for it. Those kinds of deals are out there, if you do a little digging. The jointer had no problems, except for a little cleaning and fine tuning. There has been good advice on earlier posts about what to look for. Reread them, and good hunting!