Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FiOS is in

FiOS is in

Holy cow - it's fast.

I did a speed test at: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I just hit Download Speed: 20644 kbps (2580.5 KB/sec transfer rate). On DSL I averaged 4,500 kbps

Funny thing, my wife was pushing for FiOS for her office, but because she's tied in to a link (or some other non-sense stuff) through her office server, she's getting about 7,500 kbps. She's a bit upset!!!!

No matter how fast the connection, the narrowest bottleneck in the system determines your speed. A 2:35 low res Youtube video loaded in four seconds flat. High res loads about twice as fast as real time.

Run a speed test and post it.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Interesting! Fibre optic is the way to go, f'sure.

I'll be doing some speed tests on my system at home tonight and again later in the week - I'm supposed to be getting 6Mbps DSL (with a new modem/router) delivered to me tomorrow. Right now it's 384Kbps DSL (up and down). I'll let you know how it goes.

Who's your ISP Mitchell?
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

Mitchell...more importantly, look at your upload speed. That's where you'll actually notice more improvement when you're sending email, etc. If you have 20 down, you likely have 5mb up...oh my, could I use that for all the PowerPoint files I need to schlep up to the SharePoint servers and in email to others!!!

And your LOYL is certainly experiencing a far-end bottleneck with FiOS 20/5. Even so, that's still a pretty good speed for a corporate link.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just tried the speed test here at work. I get 1293kbps down and 1429Kbps up. We're on a T1. That's about right.
    Dave Fifield

XYZ Laser - 45W Epilog 36EXT, Rotary, Corel X4, Photograv

My Charter Cable set up gave me 2843kbps down and 348kbps up. It is a miracle that I can get that speed. The only reason I have cable is due to a new housing track going in a few blocks from me. Doubt that I will ever get fiber because the population density in my area is not that heavy.
    David B

At 8:40 it is:

Download Speed: 20773 kbps (2596.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 4578 kbps (572.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'll be building a new webcatalog soon, it'll come in handy.

ISP - Verizon.

Verizon FiOS....I'm jealous!

I'm lickin' my chops in anticipation that the FiOS 3-pack option will one day be available in my area. It does phone, internet and high definiation TV for $100/month. I'm payin' way more than that now, and the TV and internet service are marginal to poor.

-Jeff

No TV yet, Last year got a 42" plasma and Directtv/Tivo. I'm not ready to set aside the $400.00 I spent on the equipment.

Mitchell, if it's a Tivo Series III, I believe you can use it with FiOS using two CableCards available from VZ for about $3 a month. And the HD on VZ is better than just about anything this side of plugging directly into the station's network.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'll have to check on that. Thanks.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 8614 kbps (1076.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 751 kbps (93.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Comcast Cable in Richland, MI to the Chicago site.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

This is a website that does a speed test and at the end it shows a comparison between you, your state, and other countries. It is kind of interesting.
    It is a website that is put up by the Communication Workers of America of which I am a member. As a website hosted by a labor union you may encounter some politcal rhetoric. Engage or ignore at your leisure.
    http://www.speedmatters.org/speed-te...m_medium=local
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I wonder why Japan is so much faster than anyone else? Mine was 1447 down and only 447 up. I guess it is not all bad for TW cable.
    Jerry

Guys,

You're making me green with envy....

Jim, according to my wife our problem is not her company, but our two-year agreement with the cable company. Trying to find out what the cost of early termination will be.

Since I am in private practice, I can work where ever I want. We have a great network at my office and I frequently connect remotely. Having that broadband capability is a must-have for me when I am writing and editing large agreements. The remote capability lets me get home to see my wife and kids and keep my clients satisfied. Fios would be that much better.

As an aside, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that I can use my blackberry device as a tethered cellular modem for my laptop. No more lost time on trains for me!! Also came in real handy when the cable guys were working down the street last week.

Only downside is that people know I'm always accessible....