Thread: Tailstock tip for Nova 1624

Tailstock tip for Nova 1624

Every time I remove the tailstock, it takes me between 20 - 45 minutes to get it back on. This last time made me think "sell, sell, mustard, mustard."

Alas, don't have anywhere near the cash and the 1624 is a mere 2 months old.

Nothing usefull in the manual. Turned it over and noticed a hex screw on the bottom. I tried a few of the big hex wrenches and found an 8mm fit just right.

Gave it a turn or two (counter clockwise) and saw the base plate clear the bottom with more room. Mounted the tailstock in one easy attempt.

Does everyone go thru some glitch or other on a new lathe?

Hope this helps someone.
    Burt

Yup! Each lathe I've bought had some little or other bug-a-boo. Nothing that can't be fixed by a little adjustment. Same with some of my other tools, too.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Ditto what Bruce said. I don't think I have bought a tool that didn't need adjusted or tweaked in some form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Yep, the single-point mount is inferior to the U bolt type on my old Delta, which helped keep things aligned better. Just don't loosen farther than the travel in the stock lock can tolerate as you give yourself a bit of tilt clearance. I just tuck the trailing edge of the plate level with my fingers as I slide it on my 3000. Don't take the thing off much, though. Sometimes I even forget to take that #$%@! pointed center off. Gives a second meaning to the term "turner's elbow."