Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dewalt DW735

Dewalt DW735

Does the DW735 not come with outfeed tables? What is the best 13" planer?

Thanks
    Shannon35

Blog Entries
    He's the bomb in the lunchbox division and no he doesn't, but you will want to get them or build your own solution.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

From what I have read the ridgid is a great machine for much less, $350 or so. From what I have read about the de walts is the infeed roller sticking and also many cases of a screw/bolt coming loose on the inside an getting shot into the gear an causing damage. The ridigd does have infeed an outfeed table and a stand an extra blades.

I have had the DW 735 for several years now and it's performed flawlessly. The Ridgid may be a good machine too, or so I've read. But your statement about, "Many cases..." doesn't sound right at all. At best I'd say a few cases. I have been reading this and a few other WW forum for quite a while now and I have only seen any problems similar to this mentioned maybe a few of times at the most. Definitely not, "Many cases". When you have a machine that's as popular as the DW735 you're bound to have a problem here and there. From what I have read, nearly everyone who buys the DW735 is very happy with it and most agree that it outperforms all other lunchbox planers. Every review either online or in magazines that I've ever seen has placed it at the top of the pack.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Craig D Peltier
    From what I have read the ridgid is a great machine for much less, $350 or so. From what I have read about the de walts is the infeed roller sticking and also many cases of a screw/bolt coming loose on the inside an getting shot into the gear an causing damage. The ridigd does have infeed an outfeed table and a stand an extra blades.

I have never heard of that happening. I have the DW735 and am very happy with it.

BTW, I paid $335 for it reconditioned.

I was leaning toward the Delta 22-580 because it was between the Rigid and the DeWalt both in price and performance. The Rigid got Best Value reviews and the DeWalt got Best Tool reviews but the Delta was close (in my opinion) to the DeWalt for substantially less. In the end, I got a great deal on a practically new Dewalt for less than the Delta would have been, although I haven't used it yet. The early DW735 had some feed problems (sprockets) but DeWalt has responded to that issue.

One other point: I thought I would store the planer under my bench and set it on the bench when needed. It's too darn heavy to be doing that very often. I eventually opted for the DW7350 mobile stand and have since bought another one for my bench-top drill press as I liked the stand so much. It is quite easy to roll around the shop.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 03-15-2007 at 11:05 PM.

One of the most consistent complaints about the DW735 is lousy blade life, which I've found to be a problem too. On clean, clear wood, I've seen the blades go from producing a mirror like finish to having several little nicks in no time flat. To Dewalt's credit though, they sent me a fresh set of blades no questions asked when I complained about it.
    Otherwise, it's performed flawlessly.

Blog Entries
    I notice Infinity Tools (and maybe others) are now making DW735 knives. Kudos to DW for sending you a replacement set.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I looked at an upgrade to my portable planer not long ago and became convinced that the DW735 was the right decision. The only consistent issue I have read about is knife life, and I understand that Dewalt has come out with new knives that resolve that problem. Here's the site where I bought mine - current price is $435 after rebate:

http://www.tools-plus.com/dewalt-dw735.html

ps - Buy the tables, even though they are an accessory item.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 03-16-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

What I read was on HDs site and it was for the DW 733 and also on epinions.Im glad they have fixed the problem with the newer models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin
    I have had the DW 735 for several years now and it's performed flawlessly. The Ridgid may be a good machine too, or so I've read. But your statement about, "Many cases..." doesn't sound right at all. At best I'd say a few cases. I have been reading this and a few other WW forum for quite a while now and I have only seen any problems similar to this mentioned maybe a few of times at the most. Definitely not, "Many cases". When you have a machine that's as popular as the DW735 you're bound to have a problem here and there. From what I have read, nearly everyone who buys the DW735 is very happy with it and most agree that it outperforms all other lunchbox planers. Every review either online or in magazines that I've ever seen has placed it at the top of the pack.

Bruce

Well, I don't know much about the DW733 but the OP was asking about the DW735. Different planer, different story. Also, it's not hard to find the DW735 at a discounted price. The standard retail price is higher than most of it's competition but still worth it in my opinion. But there's no reason to pay full price and the discounted prices put it into the range of the competition and you get a better planer. Finding a great price on a reconditioned version is easy and they're supposedly as good as new, possibly better since every one has been gone through. New tools are only spot checked unlike a reconditioned tool. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a reconditioned DW planer.

Bruce

What I read was on HDs site and it was for the DW 733 and also on epinions.Im glad they have fixed the problem with the newer models.

I have a reconditioned 735 that has performed flawlessly. Good choice.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Almost 3 years on the DW. Does what I want!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Add another thumbs up for the DW735.

Have it, Love it, Would buy it again in a heart beat

Bob