Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Old Yates American Lathe

Rob Will Guest

Big Old Yates American Lathe

I can buy this Yates American M70 lathe but I know absolutely nothing about these machines. It has a 4-speed 7.5 hp motor. The top end is 3500 rpm. I don't remember the other speeds but it seems like it goes down in halves ie: 1750, 875, 430 (or something like that??) Anywho.....is this a good setup?? About 60-65" between the faceplate and the live center. It also has a faceplate mount on the left side of the motor. The voltage is 440 3ph so I would need a transformer. 3 tool rests and some face plates included.

Your thoughts?
    Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Will; 03-16-2007 at 12:06 AM.

Rob,
    I am not into turning wood but if I found that lathe in my area for a good price I would buy it and take up turning for sure. That lathe looks like one fine piece of machinery.
    If you have the bucks and room I would go for it.
    David B

Thats a beast.

I'm not that up on 3 phase power but I am not sure you can run 440 volt with a static or rotary phase converter. Most of the motors can be re-wired to 220 Volt 3 phase which will run off a converter.

It looks like a nice piece if the price was right. Remember to figure on what a static or rotary converter will cost.

It would look good along the north wall of my shop for sure.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz
    Thats a beast.

I'm not that up on 3 phase power but I am not sure you can run 440 volt with a static or rotary phase converter. Most of the motors can be re-wired to 220 Volt 3 phase which will run off a converter.

It looks like a nice piece if the price was right. Remember to figure on what a static or rotary converter will cost.

It would look good along the north wall of my shop for sure.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, I did forget to say that I have 3 ph power in the shop but it is 230V.

Rob

Hey Rob, If I am not mistaken you can hook a transformer to your power sorce and then you can run the 230 power. Also you can run it on 230 I am thinking because it will just be a little slow turning up to speed. after that it will run fine. You might wanna ask some of the electric wizzards on OWWM that question.
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Since you already have 3 phase I would jump on it with both feet.

Sounds like you have a better grasp on the power requirments than I do anyway. I understand how to step down from 440 volt in to a 220 motor, in theory at least. Not really sure on the other way.

Still, nice looking machine.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

great machine. I would buy it. you can run it straight from the 3 phase or maybe risk using a vfd on it for a little more speed variability. it has all the parts with it and looks like it is in great shape.

Lou

I agree, go for it. It will go nicely with the other machines you've assembled there. A step-down transformer to handle the 7.5HP motor can be had relatively cheap.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Rob- Motor 440/220

Rob,
    Did you see weather or not you can change the wiring for the housing in the electrical junction box. Sometimes they offered 2 voltage choices on certain models. If not - you are going to have to purchase transformer.
    There is an Oliver lathe on OWWM - 20C I believe that runs on 440 volts, so the owner purchased step down transformer that took 440vlts and dropped it down to 220vlts, and just hooked it up in reverse ~ Jeff Mcvey, He had a rotary phase converter and strained a little to start it ,but since you have 220 3 phs at your place, it may not be an issue. You may want to contact him to see if this is a viable solution. I am no electrician so I can't say for certain if this is the best solution to your voltage dilemma.
    The Yates lathes are very well built and one this size are hard to find ,for the most part. ~ there is no doubt it is a serious piece of woodworking equipment ~ if you are getting a reasonable price on it- I would grab it if you are going to become involved in the Wood turning environment. you will not be dissatisfied, providing everything on this lathe is good working order and the bed whey's are not out of kilter.
    Good luck,
    Happy turning,
    Brian

Rob Will Guest

Transformer

Based on your advice I was able to get a 15KV 3ph transformer included with the lathe.

Here's the next question: What sort of speeds are most common in wood turning? Im guessing that this depends on the diameter of the piece being turned (?). As stated in the original post, the top speed is about 3500 rpm. I think the others follow in increments of one half, ie: 1750, 875 and 437 rpm. (I'm not sure about that so somebody straighten me out).

How slow is slow enough?

Thanks for helping out a new turner,
    Rob

Everyone is talking the motor/electric part of it. I can't help you there, but........ I have a Yates American J 170 and I love it. I had a similar problem with the motor and I just bought a differant motor. end of problem. I haven't seen any of the model that you are showing but I'm very happy with mine. Yates American made more industrial type machines. More heavy duty.

yours appears to be almost a machinist type with the handles/wheels on the tool rest. If the price is reasonable, it may be worth it. Good luck.

oh, also, be aware that the spindle (if it's like mine) will probably be 1 1/8 X 8 and it may be a little difficult to get chucks/faceplates to fit. not impossible. Just difficult.

Speed to Stock size ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will
    Based on your advice I was able to get a 15KV 3ph transformer included with the lathe.

Here's the next question: What sort of speeds are most common in wood turning? Im guessing that this depends on the diameter of the piece being turned (?). As stated in the original post, the top speed is about 3500 rpm. I think the others follow in increments of one half, ie: 1750, 875 and 437 rpm. (I'm not sure about that so somebody straighten me out).

How slow is slow enough?

Thanks for helping out a new turner,
    Rob
    Rob,
    These are guidelines for you but you can increase/decrease the speeds as you see comfortable.
    Here are the guidelines for Turning between the center speeds ~ to ~ stock size ratios :

STOCK SIZE UP TO 24" OVER 24"
    up to 2-1/2" 2000rpm 1500rpm
    2-1/2" - 4" 1500rpm 1000rpm
    between 4" and 6" 1000rpm 750rpm
    6" - 10" 750rpm 400rpm
    10" -24" 300rpm slowest speed possible- use your judgment

Faceplate turning:
    STOCK SIZE UP TO 2" thick OVER 2" thick
    up to 8" diameter 1000rpm 750rpm
    8-12" 750rpm 750rpm
    12" and over Slowest speed available- use your judgment

This should help when you start turning some projects on that nice Yates pattern lathe.
    Happy Turning,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will
    I can buy this Yates American M70 lathe but I know absolutely nothing about these machines. It has a 4-speed 7.5 hp motor. The top end is 3500 rpm. I don't remember the other speeds but it seems like it goes down in halves ie: 1750, 875, 430 (or something like that??) Anywho.....is this a good setup?? About 60-65" between the faceplate and the live center. It also has a faceplate mount on the left side of the motor. The voltage is 440 3ph so I would need a transformer. 3 tool rests and some face plates included.

Your thoughts?
    Rob
    Rob,
    the attachment picture will give you more information on your lathe speeds, 480,800,1533,and 2400 respectfully- This is from the early literature so I don't know if these are exactly in relation to you're lathe. I hope that helps you.
    Happy Turning
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 03-21-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Motor size

Great looking late. Have you checked the motor size carefully. Most of the these old DMD patternmakers lathes were in the 2 to 3 hp range. There is some infromation on the Y70 pattern makers lathe in the Kit Collins catalog over on OWWM, page 49 of the 1944 catalog. List this lathe as 3 hp.

Here is the link.

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/KindtC...4-CatalogM.PDF

I just purchased an Oliver 2356 DMD which is 3 hp. At 220 V current draw is 9 to 10 amps which is about right for a 3 hp motor but at the lowest speed the motor is rated for 20 amps which is about 2X a 3 hp motor, but the motor is still listed as a 3 hp motor.

Smile

Multiple speed motors are made for one voltage only. One can not reconnect them for a different voltage. You will need a transformer to take your 230v three phase up to 460 volt three phase (may be 240 to 480 on your grid). You can do this with a three phase transformer or 3 each, single phase transformers. You will need to get the transformer big enough that it is rated for about 50% more amps than your highest amp rating on the motor (it may be different for different speeds and with the slowest speed being the highest amp rating).
    Check the amp rating of the motor to be sure what you are doing. A 15KVA transformer will take a lot of amps on inrush (saturation current). You may need a 60 amp circuit just to get the transformer going without tripping out your circuit breaker. I have known other folks to have this problem.

If you opt for a VFD you must be extremely careful as the motor MUST be connected directly to the VFD with no switches in between. If you do keep the 4 speed switch you must make sure the VFD is powered down before you change speeds then power up the VFD again. I have a 2 hp Blount pattermakers lathe and have just finished installing a VFD on it along with the necessary interlock to prevent changing speeds before power down. For 460 volts you will also need a load reactor between the VFD and the lathe motor to protect the old windings from high voltage spikes. It also helps eliminate some of the "inverter whine" .

The transformer needs to be protected by fusing the input and the output. Your supply circuit may sufice for the input side fusing but you need to fuse the output side. All of this is in the National Electric Code for connecting transformers and motors.

By the way, That is One Very Nice Lathe.

If you need more help just contact me and I will send a phone number.
    I am currently running two 460 volt machines and I only have single phase power supply.