Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

"Weekend Doin's"

Friday March 16th, 2007

"March Madness" is upon us. While the Badgers haven't looked too good the last couple of regular season games, I'm hoping they'll make it at least to the "Elite Eight".

After a glorious week of 40's, 50's and even a 63 degree day, I awoke to a light dusting of snow this morning. UGH!!! All the previous snow is gone, save for the piled snow banks, and I'm sure this dusting won't be around long. It is the first day of spring Tuesday the 20th.

The only thing I'm sure of this weekend is I'll be watching some B-Ball, maybe some golf from Arnie's place in Florida, and the races from "HOTLANTA".

So what's on the table for the weekend??? I would think some of you further south than me would be getting to the outside and preparing the homestead for summer.

Whatever's on the agenda, make it fun and make it safe.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Morning Karl.
    In town this week with a long punch list on the home remuttle.
    Going to throw something on the grill and have the whole Fam Damily over.
    Going to the MPLS car show. My PU Just turner 100K yesterday. Works and looks great but I gotta plan ahead .
    Be safe. Have fun
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Good morning Karl.
    The contractors should finish up on the shop addition today so I will be doing insulation and interior walls. Can't wait for this project to be done.
    Volunteers welcome.
    Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Blog Entries
    On Saturday morning, I'm running the the 5 mile St. Patty's Day race in downtown St. Louis. Once that's done, I have the fun and enjoyable task of power washing my cedar deck for the first time since building it last summer.

Then, if things go as planned, I will have the extra enjoyment of sealing my new cedar deck on Sunday using a couple of cans of TWP. Woo Hoo!!! Anyone want to join me in this o' so fun escapade? I love the look of a cedar deck, but hate the maintenance.

If I have any time left, I will be in front of the TV watching some basketball. On a side note, I was suppossed to be in Vegas right now, but work was too busy to get away for a few days. The worst part about it is that the customer I'm doing the work for is now in Vegas. I was suppossed to be there with him, but you know how that goes.

Blog Entries
    Well, since I had carpal tunnel surgery this past Wednesday, I'm limited as to what I can do around here for a week or so. I did manage to get into the wood shop yesterday to do some work on the current platform bed project (cabin fever I guess - stir crazy prevention ). The weather here right now is questionable with some wet snow and sleet and rain falling and gee, I hope it doesn't accumulate since my snowblower will not find me behind it for this one. Might have a visitor on Saturday to buy something I had advertised on Craigs list. Sunday will find the crowd over for the weekly NASCAR race. Other than that, there "ain't" much doin.

UPDATE - the level of "stir Crazy" got to me and I ended up going out and clearing the driveway anyway with the snowblower. Wife ain't to happy about it, but hey.........the driveway is clear..........for now.
    Last edited by Fred Voorhees; 03-16-2007 at 6:24 PM.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Nothing special for me, ordered the last of the computer parts for Beasty's comp and am waiting for them.
    Gonna be cleaning the garage after the CD cabinets, and have decided to make one more storage cabinet before the kitchen cabinets, this one will be about 6' tall and 3' wide, ought to be fun.
    Gonna use "real" plywood on this one.
    Now to figure out whether a 5.5' by 1.5' set of doors is doable...
    Might try the euro hinges this time.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

No shop time for me this weekend.

My nephew's basketball team is in the Iowa state finals so we are headed to Des Moines to cheer them on. The kid is 6' 9" and 245#, scored 32 points and had 13 boards in last nights semi-final. He accepted a scholarship to Indiana State. Any Sycamore fans out there?

Sunday I am taking the middle school Sunday School class I teach out for a movie and pizza after church.

Might be able to sneak a little time in the shop in the latter part of the day.
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue

Weekend Doin's

Saturday I am taking my band saw, bench top belt sander, drill press, and other stuff to my church for the AWANA Grand Prix car making workshop! They are those little cars you make from a block of wood, about 2" x 10" I think. I've never made one, but I remember a post on here a while back about them. I am taking my 6 year old son with me. It should be a nice Saturday.

I am also working on a bookcase. I already cut all the boards to size. Last night I made the curved cuts on the sides, made the dadoes for the shelves, and rabbeted the back of the sides for the rear plywood. It was the first time I used a router without it being in a table setup. I had to because the pieces were too big for the table. I used my $20 Harbor Freight Trim Router for the Dadoes so I wouldn't have to take my regular router out of the table. It worked very well! I used a 3/4" straight bit and cut 1/4" deep in one pass with no problems. Granted it is choice pine, but I was still impressed. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to finish it, (I'll be sure to post Pics!). I have been researching about staining Pine, apparently I'll need some pre-stain conditioner.
    Stephen

Finish up two detachable handrails with flush mounted receivers for a narrow staircase (That 200lbs in any direction that code requires has been an interesting engineering experience, the stack of 8 laminated plates into which the recessed bed hooks bolt needs to be pulled out of glue-up), sand and re-start finishing on a table where the first coat of poly bloomed and blistered (don't know yet if it was finish incompatibilities or outside pollen), route groove for the mane in the rocking horse that I'm building for my nephew, and replace the weather seal on the bottom of our front door.

And get some exercise...

We are headed over to Indiana for an antique tractor show tomorrow. Probably will spend some time in the shop tomorrow.

"I;m going to Disney World"

That of course being the woodworking show in Chantilly, Virginia. Going on all weekend starting today.

Tony

Shoveling snow.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wilson
    Shoveling snow.

Chuck
    Looks as if I'll be doing the same thing here in Camden, Maine.
    DICK
    We can only be, what we give ourselves the power to be~ Cherokee Feast of Days

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    While the Badgers haven't looked too good the last couple of regular season games, I'm hoping they'll make it at least to the "Elite Eight".
    Oh man, Karl, you almost jinxed us!! Luckily we had a much better second half than first. As a native Wisconsinite here in Denver, I was pulling my hair out for a while there!
    Eric in Denver

There are only 3 kinds of people in this world -- those who can count, and those who can't.

"Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsman can hide his mistakes." --Author unknown

Assembling and playing with my new Leigh FMT.