Thread: Green Water Oak-Score or not?

Green Water Oak-Score or not?

My boss brought 3 rather large chunks of what I think is water oak from a tree that was downed on his property to work today--just for lil ole me . It looks as though it might have some burl to it. I will be able to tell more about once I get it cut up. The logs are between 8" and 10" wide and about 3ft to 3 1/2 ft long.

First, is this a good score? Second, How do I prepare it to be turned? Is there any curing time necessary? Tell what I need to do... Please...

Thanks
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

Oak can be a bear to turn. First thing, get the tools **SHARP** and be prepared to keep them really sharp. Second, oak has a mind of it's own. I recommend turning from start to finish in one session. Once you are done turning keep an eye on it. If it starts splitting get some moisture to that area. One thing I've done is to turn to finish and then put it in BLO and leave it there for a few days. That has helped eliminate cracking and splitting for me. Although George will disagree I think it alters the drying process and the oils emulsify with the water content.
    Brian

Some of it(green Oak) smells....like PEE.

Good luck. Nothign to add other than what was said.

Little to no response...Must not be a score!

Based on the few responses I have been given (neither of which have good things to say), I can safely presume that this wood is only good for fire wood. Thanks for the help.

Be blessed and have a great weekend!
    "Intoxicated with unbroken successes, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us." --Abraham Lincoln

You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give.—Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Brooks
    Based on the few responses I have been given (neither of which have good things to say), I can safely presume that this wood is only good for fire wood. Thanks for the help.

Be blessed and have a great weekend!
    In a week or so I will post a picture of that kind of wood bowl. I was given 4 bowl blanks and turned one. Have 3 more to go. Didn't turn bad at all.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tim,
    I didn't mean to scare you off of free wood. I was just merely trying to prepare you for it. I personally have a lot of oak and I like it. It takes more time to work with and it doesn't act like cherry, walnut, or mesquite. Unless you have a shop full of turning blanks, never turn it down and even then you can always trade it with someone.
    Brian

Oak? Who said Oak? Tim go for it! Don't listen to these guys, you'll learn more turning a couple of logs of Oak than you will turning that all that "Nice Stuff" all day long. Besides, it is free!!! and in the Abyss you need all the "Free" you can get. Oak is an acquired (only meant for a few) taste but then so are many of the finer things in life. Does it have some challenges? Yes, but then what in life that is good doesn't? Now, after all of that, you really don't have to listen to me, after all...I'm just an...
    Oak Fanatic!!
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Free is real good.

What's the best nation on earth? Do-nation

Dick

Tim,
    I'm traveling and missing a lot,

BUT GET THE WATER OAK.

Yes it gets hard, but is very good wood. The water oak where I used to live was as dark as walnut with very light sapwood beneath the bark. Hard, would polish with smooth cuts like cocabola.
    Makes great small presentation bowls, pen blanks, whatever.
    I does crack a good bit drying, the key seems to be in slowing down the inital drying and keeping it slow.

Please show us some of the finished items.

Rich S.

Thanks for the additional information. I had planned on cutting it up to see what I might have inside. I need to get pictures so you more experienced folks can tell me more. I might do that in a few minutes...

Thanks again...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Brooks; 03-17-2007 at 8:56 PM. Reason: Pictures Added