Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working Towards 1/64's Accuracy

Working Towards 1/64's Accuracy

At age (nearly) 60, I look back over my lifetime and see myself as having been (and now being) two woodworkers. Thirty years ago, I accepted cutting tolerances of a 1/16 or even an 1/8 of an inch, with almost no true understanding of wood movement. Among my projects then were building two kitchens and a few standalone pieces of furniture. Today, with having had a thirty year absence from woodworking, and with an entirely new cast of tools and machinery, I have set as a goal to work towards an accuracy of 1/64 of an inch. While wood's movement itself is often greater than that tolerance, I figured I would at least shoot for that kind of accuracy even if I end up with something less fine.

Two inexpensive tools that are helping me achieve that goal are calipers (at $26.00, it gives me metric, imperial decimal, and most useful . . . fractional readings) and Lee Valley's Wood Movement Reference Guide, a wheel that helps one determine a specie's wood movement under changing temperature and humidity environments (available for $6.50 at LV).

The caliper has found a place in my apron pockets along side of the 4" starrett square. The Wood Movement Guide Wheel reminds me of the need to pay particular attention when picking through the wood pile at my local hardwoods dealer to select grain patterns most likely to expand and contract in a manner suitable to the intended design. The wood design guide wheel includes a 9-page instructional pamphlet that told me more about the nature of wood movement than any other resource.

Hey, I may never achieve my goal of 64ths, but you gotta have a target in mind, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff Wright; 03-17-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Jeff,

As a machinist in my other life, I strive for very tight tolerances myself. I have had other woodworkers mock me...saying I don't need to be so accurate because the wood is going to move anyways.
    Well, I have joints that are still tight after many years. I do make allowances for wood movement....table tops is one example. However, I have picture frames that are as tight as the day I made them.
    Gary K.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell
    Jeff,

As a machinist in my other life, I strive for very tight tolerances myself. I have had other woodworkers mock me...saying I don't need to be so accurate because the wood is going to move anyways.
    Well, I have joints that are still tight after many years. I do make allowances for wood movement....table tops is one example. However, I have picture frames that are as tight as the day I made them.
    Gary K.
    Gary, it's great to know I'm not alone!

I just have to comment... although I may not always acheive such tight tolerances, there are two things that I do ALL the time when building furniture and cabinets. First all thicknessing is done with a vernier caliper and all measurements are done with a rule.

Using a tape for these two jobs has caused me no end of grief. The chosen tools need not be the best quality ones available, but stick with a decent quality ones. Tapes are notorious for having repeating errors (they are usually stamped using a large wheel so any error in the stamping is repeated at the circumference of the wheel). Likewise, I stay away from silk screened rules which often are inaccurate and almost always have very thick markings. Use etched rules and decent calipers (Starrett, Mitutoyo, B&S, M&W, Rabone, Union as well as many other brands work very nicely) and your first source of errors virtually disappears. Of course, this does little to address operator error.

I too have suffered the wrath of fellow woodworkers who have seen my 8" starrett calipers sitting on my thickness planer

I'm a machining and accuracy fanatic too, but think a lot of "accuracy" in woodworking is about either avoiding measurement or knowing what the eye sees as accurate.

For avoiding measurement, I mean matching or marking one part off another. It's often a lot harder to get two independent pieces to the same 64th or smaller, but you can match one piece to another more accurately than that.

Knowing what the eye notices is also important. A gentle curve can look straight, and a handplaned surface may look flat even though it's not perfect. Leave a 64th gap between two pieces it looks like junk, but match them exactly at a slight angle and no one will notice. Handling minor blemishes is another example. I'm working with an amazing piece of figured maple that has a few small pits in it. I can't count the number of times well-meaning people have said "just mix some sawdust with glue and it will be a perfect match". Not after it's finished it won't. However, I'm finishing with shellac rubbed out to a low gloss, so I can carve a gentle depression in the surface to the depth of the divot and sand it out, and the slight wave disappears completely in the figure of the wood. A high gloss might make it a little more obvious, but still probably less so than filler.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 03-17-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Another anal "Tight Tolerance Person" here. ,

Quote Originally Posted by Luciano Burtini
    I just have to comment... although I may not always acheive such tight tolerances, there are two things that I do ALL the time when building furniture and cabinets. First all thicknessing is done with a vernier caliper and all measurements are done with a rule.

Using a tape for these two jobs has caused me no end of grief. The chosen tools need not be the best quality ones available, but stick with a decent quality ones . . . .
    Where possible I try to eliminate measuring altogether. As an example, I just got a couple sets of these bar gauges:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,43553&p=32585

The use of story sticks also comes to mind.

I was sensitive to measurement tool errors when I calibrated the fence ruler on my MiniMax 410 combo machine. I compared the rules on both the fence and my various measuring tools to see how closely they aligned. I determined it helpful to try to use the same measure tool throughout a project rather than switch midstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright
    At age (nearly) 60, I look back over my lifetime and see myself as having been (and now being) two woodworkers. Thirty years ago, I accepted cutting tolerances of a 1/16 or even an 1/8 of an inch, with almost no true understanding of wood movement.

Hey, I may never achieve my goal of 64ths, but you gotta have a target in mind, right?
    I have discovered as my age increases and my eyesight decreases, that 1/16" looks more and more like 1/64".
    Steve

First off a confession.

Being Norwegian I am a true square head and

a obsessive collector of measuring devices.

I don't use 'em.

My eyesight is horrible from staring at the sun to much in the 70s.

Nope, story sticks and gauge blocks.

Gauge block and the touch of my fingers in my case is infinitely better

in the accuracy department then anything I can see or hope to remember.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Like Per, I've been embracing the use of story sticks a lot on my projects at this point...and I try to avoid the tape measure as much as possible.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Per Swenson
    . . . My eyesight is horrible from staring at the sun to much in the 70s. Nope, story sticks and gauge blocks.Gauge block and the touch of my fingers in my case is infinitely betterin the accuracy department then anything I can see or hope to remember.Per
    I agree. At age 59 I can understand why they force retire airline pilots at age 60. The eyes just aren't what they used to be!

Wink

I find it very ironic reading this post. I just sent in an order for some tools for measuring to WoodCraft because today they had free shipping.

Jeff, I too am in the same boat after more than 20 years away and I'll be 60 next Saturday. I find that my tolerance for error isn't what it used to be either. I just wish I had kept up with the skills necessary to create things to the tolerances I want. Yes, the bar gauges are on my list of things I need too. No, you are not alone.

Per, I have a small set of gauge blocks and never thought of using them. Just mentioning them gave me an idea for several uses for them. I could have used them on my last project. I used my fingertips instead, which did work. I checked the accuracy with a ruler. As for story sticks, I forgot all about them (all the years away from the hobby combined with CRS syndrome). After finding an article on them on the Fine Woodworking sight, it all came back. Thanks.

Steve, I fully agree with your observation. Fortunately for me it's my distance that is going. I can still see close up without glasses.

Luciano, part of my order was some more rules. I don't know why I have always used a tape measure when I knew a rule was more accurate. I guess some things, like wisedom, may actually improve with age.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I have a question about measureing long things over 3 feet. If you dont use a tape, then how will you measure it then? I am fairly new and have yet to tackle anything of great style. Still trying to get all the basics down.

Al,

Use a dedicated tape measure. Once.

Then cut a stick. Mark it with size and throw a dap of paint or tape on

it, so it is differn't than the rest of the sticks.

Use this to mark all subsequent pieces of the same size

cutting them and then checking with the tips of your fingers

with the original stick for exactness.

It is way faster and accurate then measuring each and every piece.

This also eliminates error.

The tips and palms of your hands are the most sensitve measuring devices

you own. Don't believe me?

Check your face a hour after you shave.

I forgot something, silly me.

It is more important when building something that the parts are identical,

for plumb, level and square then the actual size. I hope this makes sense.

Per

Per
    Last edited by Per Swenson; 03-18-2007 at 3:04 AM.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Al Killian
    I have a question about measureing long things over 3 feet. If you dont use a tape, then how will you measure it then? I am fairly new and have yet to tackle anything of great style. Still trying to get all the basics down.
    I have a Starrett 6' metal rule to do this.

Per's method is quick and time tested.

Method I was taught in cabinet making, which I don't use, is to use sets of dividers and work from a common reference line.

A tape measure can be used, but...... once used it becomes your defacto standard,and has to be used in the same manner. It might have that little "push me, pull me" doo-dad on the end, but don't rely on it for anything other than basic measurements and general carpentry.

The best way to condition yourself is to begin to use a marking knife, and get rid of the pencil. Not always advice I take myself though.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-18-2007 at 8:45 AM.