Thread: Dado Set

Dado Set

I am ready to by an 8" dado set for my Unisaw. I went to Woodcraft yesterday anticipating a Forrest. All they had was a Timberline ($129 IIRC) and Amana ($200). I've never seen the Timberline but the packaging made me think it is pretty low end. The Amana was packaged nice, looked good and the sales guy talked it up.

I looked at Woodcraft's catalog. It has the Forrest Dado King for $300.

HD has the Freud Diablo - $100.

I'm still leaning toward the Forrest. I'm not a production shop, actually a low time hobbyist, but I do have a Forrest blade on the Uni and I love it.

I don't want to start a flaming session here but would like opinions of the various blades along with accompanying reasons to support their cost.

Thanks -- Kevin

I love my Forrest. That said, if the "rules" dictated that I had to use a different one, my first choice would be a Freud SD508. The SD608 with the adjustable hub is also nice. (Stay away from whatever HD is selling...generally very low end)

BTW, Amana makes very good cutters.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used to use the "whatever" brands of dado blades for the same reason of occasional use and have since gone to the Dado King...night and day. The Forrest is expensive but worth it IMHO.

Buy the Forrest and never look back.

There was an online website posted the other day that had Forrest blades and I believe the 8" Dado King was only $260.

I would also consider getting the 6" one. I never use the capacity of my 8" one.

Found the link it's on sale for $240.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=forrest

Freud SD508

I been using the Freud SD508 for a couple of years and am totally happy with it. It cuts flat bottom dados with no chip out in plywood. While I, like you, am very happy with the Forrest WWII general purpose blade I don't hesitate to recommend the Freud. I would also look at the SD608 before making a final decision.

-- Phil

The Forrest is always a safe bet, but is also typically a premium price. I'd definitely add the Ridge Carbide and Infinity to the short list. You can get 10% off the Ridge Carbide with the "SMC10" discount thru Holbren. The Freud SD508 is more on par with these sets than the HD Diablo set. Add the DW7670 to the list if you prefer to stay in the $100 range.

http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...1&cat=0&page=1

http://www.epinions.com/DW7670
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-18-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

For the price I don't think you can beat the Dewalt DW7670 dado set. It produces a very smooth bottom, little to no chipout and is easy to adjust. I've seen it as low as $80, but it's $109 at Amazon right now. Great value for the money IMO.

HD sells the Freud SD208. I used to have the 308, which worked just fine on my cheesy benchtop TS, but sold it after returning the saw. Now that I've taken the TS plunge again, I'm going to be in the market for a stack.

Food for thought: a 6" stack will cut 1 1/2" deep dadoes. How often does anyone really need the 2 1/2" depth from an 8" stack?

I've had the cheaper Freud set, which was very good. I now have the Forrest 6", which cuts even cleaner. I got it on sale from Hartville tool for around $200. If you get it, go directly through Forrest (or 3D sawblades, which brings up the the same site). Woodcraft is overpriced. I think the Amana and Infinity are also excellent. The Timberline may be good, but probably a step down from the Freuds (the Dial-A-Width has excellent reviews, if your arbor is long enough for it), Forrests, Amanas, and Infinitys.

My friend, a fellow woodworker has the Forrest. I have the Freud 608. After comparing the two, I can't see any difference in the quality of the cut. The Freud is a lot easier to adjust because you don't have to mess with shims.

I have the Forrest King 8" and just got my second set of Freud SD508. I really see no difference in the cut quality or set up. The only reason I purchased another Freud set is um I dropped two of the chippers on the concrete when I was moving, idiot that I am. But I very happy with both sets...

Here is a direct link to the site that Steve Roxberg was talking about above, Forrest Saw Blades Online:

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.co...Dado_King.html
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ