Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any comments on A4dable engravers

Any comments on A4dable engravers

Found this firm on a web search. http://a4dableww.com/
    Could not find any references to them here, but they have an E-Bay store http://stores.ebay.com/A4dable-Woodw...Q3amesstQQtZkm with reasonable ratings. But I would like more then a 1 sentence comment.

Their prices are impressively small, but the question is, are they worth it?
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

It looks like the typical cheap Chinese laser sold by a number of companies. You could probably buy it direct from China for 1/2 that price.

There's a thread going on over on engravingetc.org at the moment by a guy who bought a 40 watt Chinese laser on ebay and he's been struggling to get it to engrave in a repeatable way.

My guess is that if you're looking for a toy to tinker with and are good at understanding technology, it's probably OK. But if you're looking for a serious tool to produce products with, then you're probably better off looking at one of the major brands.
    Dave Jones -- Epilog Mini-24, 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, Creative Suite CS2

I think this is from a previous discussion about the same make.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52387
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the link Scott. I had done a search of the fourm for A4dable not A4dableWW so I missed that one.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

First off they have small work areas. Other things to be concerned about would be the 3 month warranty on the laser tube (replacement is $429 for the 60W) and tech support availability. Some of the other descriptions say "very compatible with Corel" whatever that means. And it's air and water cooled?

Also - Feedback on it's own is only part of the story. Check out the feedback listings and check some of the recent items this seller has sold. They have been selling cruets, a high tech pet water bowl (which looks pretty cool though), candlesticks, and lasers.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney
    a high tech pet water bowl (which looks pretty cool though)
    Except for the quote "Like the original, the circulating water attracts pets, encouraging them to drink more water, which in turn reduces the risk of diseases like urinary tract infections and kidney disease."

They might want to talk to a vet, as drinking too much water can be very damaging, even deadly, to a dog. It causes their stomache to actually twist and many dogs die from it every year. It happens to labs a lot.

Trust me, I know, as I had a dog drink too much water (just one normal bowl) and spent over $1,500 at an emergency vet having surgery to correct the issue. They said it happens all the time and it comes from drinking too much water at one time.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I've just E-mailed them Since it's supposed to be in Oregon, maybe I can get an address to see them in person. I've asked that and also if they have sold any to customers in this area that I could go and talk to and see it.

You can by a lot of tubes at that price for what you'd save on the initial investment if that's the only issue (which I kind of doubt).

Update:

Any laser people in Portland? I rec'd an answer, he says that a customer in Wilsonville has one that he'd be happy to show me. My wife and I go to Portland several times a year but it may be a month or two before we get a chance. Apparently Wilsonville is just south of there.
    Last edited by Joe Pelonio; 03-19-2007 at 3:25 PM.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

If you do the math @429.00 per three months x 4 = 1716.00 per year. That to me seems pretty expensive considering you would normally get three to five years for a GAS C02 laser tube that once needs to be recharged is only 1100.00.

If you crunch all of the numbers I would think that the Brand Name lasers would cost you less over the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie
    If you do the math @429.00 per three months x 4 = 1716.00 per year. That to me seems pretty expensive considering you would normally get three to five years for a GAS C02 laser tube that once needs to be recharged is only 1100.00.
    Of course the problem with your assumption is that the laser would go out every 3 months (assuming daily use).
    I've had electronic items with 90 day warranties that lasted 10 years (and others that died in less 6 months). All you can bet is that 99% of the lasers would last at least 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio

Any laser people in Portland? I rec'd an answer, he says that a customer in Wilsonville has one that he'd be happy to show me. My wife and I go to Portland several times a year but it may be a month or two before we get a chance. Apparently Wilsonville is just south of there.
    That could be a useful data point. An experience laser person looking at the product.
    Sometimes these Chinese products are just cheap, sometimes they are inexpensive. The former being bad, the later good. Knowing which is the tricky part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackenzie

If you crunch all of the numbers I would think that the Brand Name lasers would cost you less over the long haul.
    Mike,

I was going by my personal experience, where the tube lasts about a year and costs $2,300 to replace.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Scott:
    Could be a dog trap. I understand a nice fat cocker spaniel is a delicacy in China

I had looked at these several months ago. I spoke with an ebayer who bought one and he said he was having some problems being new and all. However he did claim that a4dable does have good support and helped him out.

I emailed a4dable and they linked me the page to download manuals.

I never looked at them, but in case you're interested.....

http://www.a4dableww.com/mnls/

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hogarth
    I emailed a4dable and they linked me the page to download manuals.

I never looked at them, but in case you're interested.....

http://www.a4dableww.com/mnls/
    They are certainly written by someone only semi-fluent in English. But informative, thanks

Woof woof...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton
    Scott:
    Could be a dog trap. I understand a nice fat cocker spaniel is a delicacy in China
    You can talk bad about my laser but not my dog. Norman, my "fat cocker spaniel" didn't like your comment Larry. He bites!!!! Watch out....
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....