Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Spend Christmas Money in the Shop!

Help Spend Christmas Money in the Shop!

OK, Santa is giving me $325 for Christmas...$75.00 in a Gift Certificate for Home Depot.

My shop needs are a Sanding Station, Drum Sander, or Lathe...Yeah Right!

Hand tools...I'm desperate for couple ones.

Cordless Drill -- (My 9.6V makita died 2 years ago, and I'm tired of hand-screwing or trying to be gentle with my Huge corded Dewalt). primary use will be the woodshop...with occasional around-the-house carpentry stuff.

Paint Sprayer -- I am just fiinishing up some bedroom furniture for my daughter...its brush painted and looks aweful (to me)...I no longer allow brushes in my shop and wish to buy a reasonable quality sprayer. I have a 60gal Compressor, and would prefer a HVLP conversion gun...Shop is in the basement, so a gun robust to latex/water-based coatings is required.

I admit I have a lot to learn about finishing, but want to learn it with a sprayer

Their you have it Saw Miller's...Spend my money...I'd love to hear specific recommendations...Right down to model #'s if you've had a good experience.

The drill, I expect, will be cheaper than what I would buy by itself (Dewalt 14.4V XRP)...However, Spray-guns are a BIG unkown for me.

Help...And Thanks

Get the drill, you'll use it more than any other tool on you list.

I think I would get the Makita M force 14.4 volt.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

For the HVLP conversion gun, I'd recommend you consider the Wagner. I have a review on my site. At $129, it's a great buy and will carry you very well until you really, really need a pro-level gun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Follow-up

Intent is to buy BOTH tools for $325...but one can always apologise later.

Jim, for the Wagner...I don't see the review on your site??? Which is great by the way.

Did you go with the pressure pot version? Would you? Or stay with siphon?

Welcome to the Creek

Feel free to jump in and wade around any time.

From your list of "like to haves", I would get either the Mikita or the DeWalt drill. I have the 12v DeWalt and it is a good drill, but I don't use it heavily. All I have heard about Mikita tools has been outstanding, so you wouldn't go wrong there, and I bet they have improved since you originally bought your 9V unit.

Second, I would get a Lee-Nielson low-angle block plane. It is a top shelf tool and doesn't require a mortgage, most places sell them for around $150. It will be the first and last block plane you will need to buy.

Those two tools should take all the worry out of where to spend your $300+ present.

Merry Christmas.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grimes
    Jim, for the Wagner...I don't see the review on your site???
    There is a link for the Wagner review at the top of the purple colum titled, "Current Reviews" on the right site of the main page. There isn't a link from the Reviews page currently, but that will be fixed...I'm working on a new site design in my "copious free time". I'd post the direct link, but don't want to step on any SMC rules, etc., although I think that it would be allowed in answer of a direct question.

http://sawsndust.com/r-wagnerhvlp.htm (link added by moderator)

I currently use the gun with the directly attached cup, but Nathan informs me that he can supply me with a 2 quart remote cup that I can easily substitute when I need the flexibilty that it offers when working "inside" cabinets, etc.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 12-20-2003 at 11:00 AM.
    --

Talking

OK, Santa is giving me $325 for Christmas...$75.00 in a Gift Certificate for Home Depot. And Thanks

Jeff, Instead of worrying yourself sick about how to most wisely invest your Christmas money in tools, why don't you just put it into my kitty which I have put away to upgrade my lathe. I already have about a thousand bucks so that $325 would go quite a way. I figure I need about $2500. Wouldn't that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

Wolf

Talking Ha!!! Well, you know..I' am in a charitable mood!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    Jeff, Instead of worrying yourself sick about how to most wisely invest your Christmas money in tools, why don't you just put it into my kitty which I have put away to upgrade my lathe. I already have about a thousand bucks so that $325 would go quite a way. I figure I need about $2500. Wouldn't that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling?

Wolf
    Not!!! Sorry Wolf!

I started looking to spend about $250 on a higher-end cordless drill..The Dewalt is $200.00. Then, coming across here this morning (very slow at work, today)...saw references to pait sprayers...and said yikes..THATS what I need.

But, building my deck last summer, I did nothing but complain with @&#*%$@*#$ type words about stripping screw heads with my Drill...I miss the variable speed of a cordless.

So, now I'm going to streeetch my $$$'s. I think I'll go for the Wagner gun...and either a Makita or Ridgid 14.4 Drill.

Any preferences?

I saw Amazon has a 9.6v Makita Drill with NiMH batteries for $90. Then you would have plenty of money left over for the $129 HVLP Gun that Jim mentioned.

Wendell

<a href="http://http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004TB29/qid=1071859900/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-tools/103-7933378-5183013?v=glance&s=hi&n=228013">Amazon Makita Drill</a>

Jeff Grimes, Now there's a name I haven't thougth of for a long time. Nice to see that you found this place.

I would definitely go with the Dewalt drill that you mentioned. At $200 it is a great deal. Mine is about six years old with no signs of being tired.

As far as sprayers, I think I would hold out for a turbine sprayer. They cost quite a bit more that your certificates. I bet it was your wife's idea to paint the bet.
    Jim

I couldn't pass it up...could I???

OK, I did order the Wagner Spray gun recommended...Its already on its way.

Shopped Amazon for the makita Deal...and then heard its stackable on top of Home Depot's 20% power-Tool sale.

So, I picked up the 14.4 Makita M-Force

$177 - 20% Sale +6% tax - $30 REBATE == $120.10

Now, for $168 I could have picked up either the Dewalt 14.4XRP or the Ridgid 14.4 X2...

How do you guys feel the Makita stacks up against the Dewalt or Ridgid???

Are they worth the $40, heavier weight, larger size, etc???

...and then heard its stackable on top of Home Depot's 20% power-Tool sale.
    Man, I stopped by the 'Depot yesterday for some do-dads and saw the 20% sale signs all over the place. I am afeared that I may be back there today or tomorrow for a 60 gallon compressor...the price is right, even though it's not the IR that I really want. (And since it will go in the DC closet, the color will not be a "decorative" issue, either... )

Jeff, the Makita is a nice driver and that is a VERY good deal. Don't look back. I like 14.4v for size and weight for general use, and while I have the Dewalt 14.4XRP (that I paid the full $199 for because it was an "emergency), the price on the Makita would seal the deal.

You'll like that gun, too. Happy holidays!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Man, I stopped by the 'Depot yesterday for some do-dads and saw the 20% sale signs all over the place. I am afeared that I may be back there today or tomorrow for a 60 gallon compressor...the price is right, even though it's not the IR that I really want. (And since it will go in the DC closet, the color will not be a "decorative" issue, either... )

Jeff, the Makita is a nice driver and that is a VERY good deal. Don't look back. I like 14.4v for size and weight for general use, and while I have the Dewalt 14.4XRP (that I paid the full $199 for because it was an "emergency), the price on the Makita would seal the deal.

You'll like that gun, too. Happy holidays!

My last Makita was great...and I probably shouldn't have discarded it as quickly as I did...oh well.

Being an AMATEUR woodworker, yet having a shop full of Delta and Jet tools..I have a history of Overkill.

I'm getting cheap, and these deals ARE too good to ignore.

Now, if I could only find out how to exchange the "free gloves" The one included in the drill set don't fit

JEFF:
    One advantage to the RIDGID is the Lifetime warrenty including replacement batteries (FOREVER).

JIM:
    I dont think the 20% off applies to Air Compressors.

Jim, read the small print

I read it and it said that compressors are not included. You may be able to talk them into it, but our stores stated no compressors.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs