Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mesquite, Coccobolo, and Chechen Peppermills

Wow Dom! Those are great!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Greco

I have used powdered gemstones before and they went over really well. If the voids in the mesquite were a bit smaller, I would have used Turquoise or Malachite. But all I had on hand was Turquoise and Malachite dust. No way I was going to try and fill a void of that size with gem stone dust! It would have taken my whole supply of BOTH and not looked as clean (cause of the mixing of he colors). Maybe if I had been thinking clearer, I could have used Turquoise Inlace. I still have some of that left.

For filling fine cracks, CA glue is fine. But for something that will see daily use, has a larger crack/void, and might get dropped occasionally, I'd be a little worried. I was told that CA glue is somewhat brittle and when coupled with filling a void that big, there is a chance the CA glue and turquoise "plug" could fall out.
    Don't worry about the size of the voids....build up the inner area of the void with anything that you can....I've use everything from toothpicks to popsicle sticks to fiberlass......undercut the edge of the void slightly with something like a Dremel or turbo-carver and you won't have any problems with the plug falling out. As long as you give yourself 1/16-1/8in of depth, you won't be using too much turquoise.

Dominic, these are beautiful. I like the design, I see why they sell so easily.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"