Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best method/tools for Hardiplank siding?

What's the best method/tools for Hardiplank siding?

We're breaking ground today! My new garage/barn project is starting this morning. The foundation guy stopped by last night and we went over the details. To satisfy the pic police, I'll post some when we have something more than bare ground. In the mean time, here is a link to the design. It'll look just like this, but reversed.

Now the related question. As our house is sided with Hardi Plank I also have to use it on the garage. I'm thinking about doing it myself, as a means of saving some money. I've done lots of vinyl siding before, but never this stuff.

So what's the best method/tool/blades for cutting it, and what is the best method/tool for hanging it?

The best way to cut it is with shears made specificly for the job. But you can also get blades for your circular saw, just beware of the dust. And you'll eat through the blades if you have to rip any of the siding.

You can get special clips to help set the exposure on the siding, makes it alot easier, especially if you're trying to do it yourself. A nail gun is ideal, but it can be hand nailed.

If you get the color plus, be sure to get the touch up kit.

On the James Hardi web site, there is all form of how-to information and specifications for nails, nailing, cutting, installing and finishing, and what will and what won't void your warranty. Even so far as what brand circular saws are approved. The dust from cutting is carcinogen. There are diffferent methods for starting the first course (whether it's flat against the wall or if you put a strip down for bevvel it out like all the other courses. A proper blade costs about $50 and has 4 teeth (IIRC - maybe 6).

Todd

Exclamation installation instructions....

So yeah as Todd said above there definately are instructions for installation, I worked for a lumber yard that sold it and I do beleive I have a few diff. materials on the installation of hardiplanks. I will look for you and if i have them I will let you know later on today. I could fax them to you or something, but you should definately check out the website to.
    Good Luck

Jay Bowdring

I use a 10" Hitachi Hardi Blade, which is a diamond blade, on my SCMS. It does kick up dust. I would definately only use it outdoors with a dust mask. A carbide tipped saw will last through about 10-20 cuts before it is dull. The clippers would definately be less dusty, but I was unsure about freehanding the cuts with the clippers.

Thanks,

Mike

I literally wore down a regular blade. Wondered why it wasn't cutting, looked at it, and nothing but nubs! Got a specific blade for it after that which lasted well. In fact it is still usuable.
    As always, I screwed mine in. If you use the 12" width, you'll need to secure it top and bottom. The 8" you can just blind fasten. I used the 12". Used caulk in the screw holes and ran a wide putty knife over it, and it blended in the "wood grain" where you can't tell. Took a second application as the caulk shrunk when it dried.
    It's been on almost 2 years. Took paint very well. I'm pleased with it. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 03-23-2007 at 10:38 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Hardi Plank

Hi Bill,
    I replaced all siding on my house last year and installed the 8" Hardi Planks. I blind nailed mine as it was the 8"... I also bought a Hitachi Siding nailer, highly recommended to rent, borrow or buy if you can. Also buy the blades made for cutting cement fiberboard, 6 tooth carbide tips... I went through 4 or 5 doing about 20 squares. Then again I killed 2 trying to cut 3-4 pieces at a time.... not recommended but at least blades are pretty cheap.
    I also made a couple of installation jigs to get the overlap right (simply a scrap of plywood with a legde fastened to the bottom, and one of these I attached to an 8' 2X4 so my helper coule hold planks in place while I was on the ladder on the 2nd story...
    The instructions say to leave minimum of 1/8" gap on all butt joints, but you can get by with a little less but the caulk will not hold as well with tighter. I used 50 year caulking ("ALEX PLUS" I think).
    Another tip might be to adjust the overlap to make sure the reveal is consistent, if not you will most likely have an oddball overlap on the last course (or as I did... moved the TS into the drive way and ripped the top course to fit and keep the reveal consistent. Not recommended as it is a DUST CLOUD of epic proportions & hard on any blade with more than a few teeth).
    I think I have the installation instructions in a PDF File if you want, PM me.
    I like the look, and it pretty easy to work with.

$0.02 given, although I can't even seem to keep these posts short.

Hardie shingleside

I did my house in Shingle side (individual shingles) but I did use the planks as starter strips.

To avoid the dust I just used a utility knife to define a line then snapped the shingles holding them in a portable workbench. I cleaned up the edge using the utility knife. The planks were snapped by putting a 2x underneath at the line and levering.

I did some fancy cuts at inside corners by the same method. I used a hacksaw with a diamond blade to do the short 90 deg cuts and snapped the long angular pieces. Sometimes the strip removed was too small to snap and then I used a pair of pliers to break it off in short pieces and then cleaned up with the utility knife.

I nailed all the pieces on using galvanized nails (as per the instructions on the Hardie website) but I used the plated nails not the dipped ones as if there is an error getting the dipped nails out destroys the shingle. The plated ones can be pulled out with a small crowbar behind the shingle.

I used starter holes in the shingles as that allowed me to hold the shingle and nail at the same time. Its a good idea to do this on the planks as well especially if nailing close to the edge.

The planks are quite heavy and two people are needed for long runs.

Bryan

Pictures of shingleside

I found a picture of the back of the house taken while I was putting the shingles on.

I found it took a long time to apply the shingles largly due to the angled roof and the need to cut a lot of tiles.

I can provide more details if anyone is interested.

Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never worked with the siding. Lately I have installed quite a bit of hardi-backer board for various tile work. Instructions suggested scoring knife (carbide tipped) or saw with carbide blade. I found the saw with carbide blade has no problem cutting. But it does kick up the dust which is not real good for ya. So the shears are probably the best method unless you want to cut some years off your life.

Wow, Thanks for the replies. good tips all. Still a few more questions though. I did go to the website and D/L the instruction sheet. I have also been out to amazon to look at the available tools. I found a couple of siding gages, and electric shears. Not a heck of a lot of information on them (I sure miss Tool Crib of the North for this stuff). Anyone have direct experience with some of these gages? Not a big deal, I suspect that most of them function pretty much the same. Also, FHB also has a home built gage in their Tech tips this month.

I can probably do most of the cutting with a Hardi-blade, not sure I can justify the cost of the electric shears. Maybe so if I decide to sell them after I am done. Are they worth it?

One question regarding pneumatic nailers. Does it have to be a "siding" nailer or will a roofing nailer work just as well? Or conversly, can you use a siding nailer to do roofing too?

BTW, footings were dug, inspected, and poured on Friday. Forms are going up today, and I suspect the walls will be poured by Wednesday at the latest. I'll try to post some pics later on.

I have seen the dust cloud first hand at my home, it is for real. If you still use a blade keep all you other power tools away/covered this dust will kill them. Also keep your windows closed.

A contrator friend of mine swears by the shear, no dust..

We got our siding pre-painted ....looks great after two years.

I can answer one of your questions - no a siding nailer can not be used for shingles. I am in the process of siding my house with hardi siding. I also use the diamond blades by Hitachi and I bought a siding nailer. The nails are smaller in both diameter and head size than a shingle nail. I have heard of pepople using a roofing nailer to apply siding but I opted for the siding nailer. I would highly recommend using a pneumatic nailer to apply the siding, it will make the job much faster and easier, as for the shear I don't think it would be worth it for me - but the nailer sure was. Dave

It does not have to be a siding nailer.

You can use roofing nails, but only if you are blind nailing. See the following link from the James Hardie website:
    http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...stallation.php

BLIND NAILING:
    11 ga. roofing nail (0.121" shank x 0.371" HD x 1-1/4" long)
    Corrosion Resistant Nails (galvanized or stainless steel)

Hope this helps,
    /Kevin

I am using a framing nailer to blind nail the siding. I am also using it to attach sheathing and repair any framing that needs to be fixed. I just change out the nails for the different applications. It is a Senco full head stick framing nailer. I bought SS siding nails from McFeely's. So you don't have to buy a special siding nailer.

Thanks,

Mike