Thread: Grinder Station Suggestions Please

Grinder Station Suggestions Please

At present my grinder is bolted to an MDF board and gets clamped to the bench as and when needed. Problem is the bench ends up covered in metal and grinder wheel dust so I reckon it's time to build a dedicated grinder station. Had a search here and in the turning section but very few pictures. Had in mind a simple box with maybe a shelf on top and / or a drawer below.
    Any suggestions or pictures would be great.

TIA

Noel

Blog Entries
    FWW has a book about shop organization. In it one gentleman used two sets of full extension slides for strength and built a slide out shelf with his grinder on it. The cabinet was in a far corner of the shop where the metal grindings would stay away from his wood and finishing areas. Once done with the grinder, he unplugged it, vacuumed up a bit and slid the shelf into the cabinet. Pretty slick. The book is ISBN # 1561586862 if you'd like to look it up online; maybe the library?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a similar setup (grinder on a plate that can be quickly bolted down to any available bench space). If you are generating that much dust and crud - maybe it's time to think about hooking up a DC? I have a big intake hood that I move around to various machines as needed.

If it's settling on the bench top - it's getting into your lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Dormer
    I have a similar setup (grinder on a plate that can be quickly bolted down to any available bench space). If you are generating that much dust and crud - maybe it's time to think about hooking up a DC? I have a big intake hood that I move around to various machines as needed.

If it's settling on the bench top - it's getting into your lungs.
    Brian, thanks for the reply. It's perhaps not as bad as I described. It's just typical grinder fallout that lands around the rear and base of the machine. I'm not sure DC would be necessary and in any case I would not be happy with hot metal and even sparks entering the DC.

Noel, my grinder stand is jut a tall open-front box with some shelves. I store my granite surface plate on the bottom shelf (adds mass and stability) and a 1x30" belt sander (tall, skinny, doesn't fit well anywhere else) above it. I also put some clips on the side to hold Wolverine sharpening acessories.