Thread: New jointer report

New jointer report

Picked up my new 8" Grizzly jointer from the terminal this AM. Pick up went smooth. I was in and out in 10 minutes. My only complaint is the Byrd head is on backorder, possibly for a month. Nothing to be done about that, I should have ordered earlier.

Off loaded dad's truck with a cherry picker engine hoist. Turned the box sideways, uncrated and picked up the head and set it on the assembled base. I already had it on a mobile base ready to go. Had a court subpeona so it had to wait for a few hours to finish hooking it up.

An hour or so later I have it wired with all the parts on ready for a test fire. After checking that everything was tight and there wasn't an obstruction I fired it up and it ran fine. A few tweeks and it is in operational shape.

The knives were set to about .0005 of the outfeed table and were within .001 across the full 8" width. Maybe I could improve that but not without much foul language. I don't have a precision straight edge here so I couldn't check the tables for coplanar but with a level and an 18" straight edge they appear to be right on. I'll check with a 36" starrett soon.

First test is some 1/4 sawn red oak for a library I am building. 1/16" off the face of a 7 3/4" board was smooth as silk. Nice cut with almost no force needed to push it through. Runs smooth and quiet. Has me wondering if I should cancel the shelix head and stick with the straight knives?

Compared to my Ridgid 6" this thing looks like a brontosaurs sitting there. Overall I am very happy with the overall unit and believe it will be a great addition. Mandatory picture included and no it isn't in the final location as I have some DC pipes to rerun.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I hope you enjoy this half as much as I do my G0500. Yours has the power switch up top, that's nice!

Great score and a really good write up. Hope the Byrd head comes in soon.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Nice Joe, looks like its gonna have a happy home...

Congratulations and thanks for the review. A jointer is a tool that I still need and input likr yours is helpful.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps