Thread: When you dont have enough clamps. Improvise

When you dont have enough clamps. Improvise

Started making a planer stand for the shop based on plans from shopnotes vol 16 issue 91, but when it got to assembly time no I had no'where near enough clamps. With the recent jointer purchase, the 10% Woodcraft sale, and the local Rockler store closing sale my tool budget has been blown out of the water this year (I'm going broke saving money) and not enough extra cash for more clamps. Then I remembered a bowed 2x6 I almost threw on a brush pile a few weeks ago. After cutting to length, ripping, and some threaded rod it was perfect for the job.

planer stand 001edit.jpg planer stand 003 edit.jpg planer stand 004edit.jpg

The stand will be mobile and have flip up sides for in and out feed tables. I'll be using a laminated rolled edge bar top that was being thrown away at work for these making the in and out feed twice as long as the stock ones are. I love it when they throw away good stuff at work and they seam to be very profecient at it too. The face will trimmed in maple and I'll try the Miller dowells to see how they work out.
    Last edited by Bryan Somers; 03-23-2007 at 8:33 PM.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Well done Bryan, that's ingenuity at work. Of course, even when you have enough clamps, you will not have enough clamps.

Nice solution!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Good thinking. The LOML used to think I had all the clamps I could ever need until she stopped by one day during a large carcas glue up. She understands completely now when I look at the clamps where ever we go.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Interesting tha you didn't have enough clamps, but had that much extra threaded rod

Tim

.... I like your improvising, something I might do .

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Somers
    Started making a planer stand for the shop based on plans from shopnotes vol 16 issue 91, but when it got to assembly time no I had no'where near enough clamps. With the recent jointer purchase, the 10% Woodcraft sale, and the local Rockler store closing sale my tool budget has been blown out of the water this year (I'm going broke saving money) and not enough extra cash for more clamps. Then I remembered a bowed 2x6 I almost threw on a brush pile a few weeks ago. After cutting to length, ripping, and some threaded rod it was perfect for the job.

planer stand 001edit.jpg planer stand 003 edit.jpg planer stand 004edit.jpg

The stand will be mobile and have flip up sides for in and out feed tables. I'll be using a laminated rolled edge bar top that was being thrown away at work for these making the in and out feed twice as long as the stock ones are. I love it when they throw away good stuff at work and they seam to be very profecient at it too. The face will trimmed in maple and I'll try the Miller dowells to see how they work out.
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 03-25-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

nice job. I have seen them used on a WW show. they are called a cawl, if thats how it's spelled, and normaly the side facing your box would have a radias to them. neat huh?

Now that's what I call thinkin' on your feet! Good idea....you should send that one in to the mags.