Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite ways to drum up clients?

Favorite ways to drum up clients?

I've been on my own as a trim carpenter for about a year now, and the work has dried up somewhat. The odd built-in or trim job has kept us afloat, but I've been getting discouraged. An acquaitance of my invested in magnetic signs, and T-shirts, and they seem like a good idea. There's also an online service that matches customers to contractors for a flat rate fee(they send the info to more than one in the area, and you have to bid on it). I guess I'm looking for encouragement and ideas.
    Shane
    "Do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda

How about contacting some home building contractors and getting a job doing the trim/finish work in the houses?

Have you tried newspaper ads? There're pretty cheap and give you good exposure right in your immediate area.

Ron

craigslist is free post under skilled trade services.

Disclaimer- I am in no way affilaited with this site.

Shane
    I take photo's of jobs I have done in the past. People are a lot more comfortable in making a commitment if the know the quality of your work. Business cards do work and it took me a while to realize this. If you are not getting referrals from the jobs you are doing I would be suspect of the quality of my work. We are operating in a business that there are a lot of rip off artists and this is another obstacle that we have to overcome. It does take time to build a reputation for yourself. I would do up a sales flyer and deliver them to the homes in an area that you live or would like to do work. My wife runs a successful insurance agency and they work well for her. Check with the building contractors in the area that you live and see what they think is an area that may have the most opportunity. I have made good money doing decks and fences although I seldom do them anymore as I am trying to concentrate on doing shopwork. Just my ramblings.

Brian

Craigslist

I also use Craigslist and whatever other free listings I can find in addition to my web site.

Here is a link to my latest free Craigslist ad. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/sks/299713122.html

I am also an active member of a woodworking club and a professional furniture and cabinet makers guild. I have gotten work and referrals through both organizations, plus I get to socialize and learn new things.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dusel
    I also use Craigslist and whatever other free listings I can find in addition to my web site.

I am also an active member of a woodworking club and a professional furniture and cabinet makers guild.
    Good ideas above.

Another avenue I have used is to call past clients. Ask them if they are happy with your work, the fit and finish is as expected, ect...

If they were unhappy (one guy, drove me nuts) I fixed it (took it out and built new) but I got work from his neighbor, and added referrals from there.

The happy ones, I asked them if I could give them my business card(s) for referrals, which most were happy to do.

Jim

There are only three things you need.

1. Reputation

2. Reputation

3. Reputation

How to get one? In the beginning be willing to work at a minimum

profit. Always be 100% aware of the basics. Never ever late for anything.

Friendly and Honest to a fault. Surgical room clean job site.

Along with proper personal appearance.

Willingness to accommodate every need with a smile.

Put your self together in a package like that......

in another year your customers advertise for you.

Contractor's and homeowners alike.

We are in a personal skilled service business where word

of mouth is the only guaranteed advertising medium.

Start now with a digital camera and document your work.

Make a book, avoid the snap shot deal. Have it printed and bound

at your local Office depot.

I was about 12 years old when this freind of my Fathers said to me,

"Son, depression/recession, some one always needs a door hung

or a man who is good at that type a thing."

I thought he was nuts.

I was gonna be a Psychiatrist.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dusel (Vista, CA)

Here is a link to my latest free Craigslist ad. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/sks/299713122.html

I am also an active member of a woodworking club and a professional furniture and cabinet makers guild. I have gotten work and referrals through both organizations, plus I get to socialize and learn new things.

Joe
    Neat, did you insert HTML right into ad?

Shane,

Lot's of good advice thus far. However for the aformentioned reputation you have to get people to talk about you. To get people to talk about you they need to know and trust you as a person and craftsman. The first year out there are only so many jobs you have completed, therefore only so many people who know and trust you. A great way for people to learn about, know and trust you is to network!

BNI - Business Network International

An organization whos purpose is to give business people a structured way to network. Every state has chapters and yours is http://www.bniflorida.com/.

My first year as a pro 50% of my business came from referrals through the Massachusetts chapter that I had joined. For a minimal financial commitment - certainly way less than even a local newspaper ad - the returns can be staggering.

Though my business model is no longer a fit for my local chapter of BNI, I still believe in its core philosophy - givers gain.

It might be worth investigating.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh and nope, I've no affiliation (other than being a former memeber) with BNI.

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Shane, for online resources try Service Magic. I have been using them for several years to pickup work during the slow times. Otherwise you have to get out there and do the marketing. Join networking groups such as local Chamber of Commerce or other similiar groups. I have found word of mouth has far out performed any and all advertising.

Per has it right, your reputation can get you past the slow times. I know that may not put food on your table now. The good thing about slow times is, it weeds out the weak. When times get good again, and they will, the dead wood will be gone.
    In the mean time, hit the streets. Stop by every new house and drop off a card, talk to the builder, offer to do your work in an honest way.
    The down side is you will most likely find builders that are unloyal, slow payers, ball busters and people you would most likely not want to work for. It's all an education.

Richard

Smile

Thank you everybody for your replies. I am new at the whole message board genre, and I was a little leery at first. What I have learned, is how little I know about what I am doing, both in my business, and on this board. I try my best to produce a quality product, with a decent profit margin. Sometimes the quality wins out over the margin. After laying my situation before God, I believe that a regular job, with my woodworking as a sideline, may be my best option(health insurance and all that). I'll post some pictures as soon as I may, and I'll never give up the trade. If someone could post a link to the Festool products, that would be a bonus, as they seem to be very interesting.
    Shane
    "Do, or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Shane,

Try www.festoolusa.com and http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com

Hope this helps.
    Greg

I have one ad that runs in a neighborhood mag...costs me $209 a month and keeps me very busy about 11 months out of the year. Signs work ok, but the ad will do you much better.

I have also heard that when you work in a neighborhood, it doesn't hurt to pass out flyers....I have yet to try this one though.