Thread: General Tablesaws

General Tablesaws

anyone an owner or know an owner of a General tablesaw. I am looking at a Model #50-260 (left tilt, 3Hp Bies, Fence) barely used. Wood Magazine rated a similar model as good. As always your thoughts are appreciated.

Tom, I don't own one, nor do I personally know of anyone who does. BUT, FWIW, any posting I've ever seen regarding General tablesaws (or just about anything else, for that matter!), have always been very positive. I just very recently purchased the heavier duty Bridgewood, left-tilt saw and the sales dude at Wilke was very descript about the Bridgewood being built as HD as the General & Powermatic. From what I understand, those three are indeed heavier duty than their Delta, Jet or Grizz counterparts. If I were in your shoes and the price was right on a clean piece of equipment, I'd jump on it! I looked long and hard for a used cabinet saw (left-tilt) around here, with no luck! I don't think you'd go wrong with a General! Just MHO, of course and the usual disclaimers apply!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Blog Entries

Jim has one!

Jim Shaver has one and likes it. I'm sure if you sent him an email or PM he would let you know his thoughts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't own one, but love to if I could fine one at a good price. The top of the heap, especially if it is left tilt. I have seen them being used in other shops and they are NICE. I have looked them over and very well build and fit and finish was superior. In short, I want one.

CPeter

General 350

I have the cabinet saw and am very pleased with every aspect except dust collection. I still need to shovel dust from inside the cabinet since the obvious place to hook up the hose to the cabinet is mid-level and there is no floor to steer the dust that way. But I suppose dust inside a cabinet is at least a form of DC... General is a quality name.

Hi Tom - The 260 is a General International saw made in Taiwan as opposed to a General 350/650 which is made in Canada. They sell new for $1200-$1300. Same General T-fence system as the 350 though, and a pretty nice cast iron stock miter gauge with ball bearings on the bar. I've read that the GI cabinet saws are made in the same plant as the Jet, but I'm not certain. I'm impressed with the GI contractor saw, and have no doubt that the 260 is a very good machine. If the price and condition are right, it should make a nice addition to your shop.

You might find more owners and comments @ Canadianwoodworking.com. Good luck!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-20-2003 at 8:09 AM.

General TS

Hi,

I have owned the 350 now for 6 years, a real pleasure to use. My good fried Bill MacDonald owns the 260 and LOVES it...what can I say, it's a great saw left or right tilt!

take care,
    Jim