Thread: Exhaust Vents

Exhaust Vents

Now that the nice weather is here I need to fix the exhaust vents outside the house.

I am having a problem with the exhaust vent cover flapping and making lots of noise. I live in a windy area and the wind is capable of lifting the flap then it falls and makes a smack noise. After hours of hearing this at night I am ready to rip the covers off.

Anyone have this problem?

I was thinking of just hot gluing or epxoy-ing in some heavy washers to the cover. This way the wind won't be able to pick up the light flapper? Think this will work? Obviously I can't add too many washers cause the dryer and mircowave exhaust fan still have to be capable of opening the cover when running.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Chris
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Chris,
    A piece of felt glued to the flapper may silence it enough to make it tolerable.
    David B

I just added 10 fender washers to an exhaust flap on a 10" duct that was noisy and it worked so says client. I have the same issue with my home dryer and I was thinking aobut looking for an in line flapper (like a check valve in plumbing) to mount in the hose inside and allow me to remove the outer door. Only got as far as to rip the old door off. Cheap aluminum POS.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

The kind I use (from H.D.) instead of one flapper is like 6 louvers, the wind is not as likely to be able to get under and lift them.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
    The kind I use (from H.D.) instead of one flapper is like 6 louvers, the wind is not as likely to be able to get under and lift them.
    Just a word of caution on this type. If the air vented is high humidity, and you live in a cold area, they **WILL** freeze shut. Doesn't seem to be a problem with clothes dryers as the dry air at the end of the cycle evaporates the water. However, I've installed a couple of these for bathroom fans in customer's homes and every one has now been swapped out. Even if the fan is on a timer they still freeze. The room air is just not enough to evaporate the moisture.

Errol