Thread: This is my new shop (pic)

This is my new shop (pic)

....or at least where it will be some day. My lovely wife and I have planned for quite some time for me to retire by my 55th b-day. That’s 5 years from now. Additionally, we decided to have a new house built sometime prior to my retirement date. Having grown tired of working out of my small one car garage/workshop, priority #1 is gaining a larger facility. Plans are for a 20’ x 30’ shop. We began looking at lots recently in hopes of securing a nice location for our new house and then building later. We found a wonderful one acre lot last weekend in Prosper (a small community north of Dallas on the cusp of some incredible growth) met with the developer on Friday, and it appears that we will make the purchase. The lot has a creek that meanders down the back of the lot, makes a 90 degree turn and then runs along the side of the lot as well. Wonderfully secluded from the rest of the subdivision by virtue of its topography, this lot will make a wonderful location for a workshop and home. I love the idea of being able, on a sleepless night, to make some sawdust at 3:00 in the morning. Now I have to learn to be patient – not one of my character traits. Hope to be able to begin a thread entitled, “Shop Progress” in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Greg,

Congratulations, looks like you're on your way to having a dream home.

Looks like that "creek" is pretty deep down a ravine!

And what happened to the lot? I see trees all around in the background, but looks like they knocked them all down and levelled your lot.

(Yeah, I like having shade trees nearby)
    "It's Not About You."

Home/shop site

It does not take much imagination to "see" it already, does it? Good luck and congrats on your new project!
    Allen

Looks like an interesting setting... Enjoy your retirement...
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder

Looks like that "creek" is pretty deep down a ravine!

And what happened to the lot? I see trees all around in the background, but looks like they knocked them all down and levelled your lot.
    Yeah, the creek on the side of the house has a pretty steep drop off. What cannot be seen in this photo however, is the gentle slope the lot has in the back ending down at the creek. Lots of trees down there.
    Regards,

Glen

Check the 100 year flood map before you purchase!

I lived next to a small creek in a rental house in college. In May of 1986 I woke up to the creek rising. I just had enough time to move my car, then went back to the house to move my valuables upstairs (two story A-frame). Within an hour, the water had flooded the downstairs to the 3 foot mark, and that means it was 6' above the dirt outside the front door (3 foot stairs).

I made a phone call to my prof at school and told him I might be a little late that morning. They had to send the fire dept in a bass boat to "rescue" me.

After that experience, I wouldn't wish a flood on anyone.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Your pension/401K must pay out better than mine. I had to buy the dream property/shop with 30 left to work/pay, not five. At least it will all be new when you get to enjoy it 24X7. Congrats.

Please do check on the flood potential though. Also check homeowners availablility in that area!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Glen, Congratulations! Building your dream home/shop is an exciting time. And one you will never regret. I wish you the best of luck- enjoy it. Regards, Bill

Aren't dreams great when the happen? Congrats.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Congratulations! That looks like a very pleasant spot to hang out for a long time!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    Check the 100 year flood map before you purchase!
    I would imagine a flood would be TERRIBLE!! The survey we were given from the develolper shows flood easements, 100 year flood mark and all that stuff. We walked the lot with our builder yesterday and he told us we would not have our structure anywhere near those areas. We are meeting with the architect on Friday and I will be certain to go into detail regarding that very issue. Thanks guys.
    Regards,

Glen

I'm glad for you !!

I just wish I would have moved closer to PROSPER TEXAS because , I think I'm in Broke Maine You both are very lucky so help others and enjoy nice place.

Congrats! I cerntainly hope it all woks out well for you. Would love to think I could retire by my mid 50's but we're a little behind the curve on retirment planning but making progress.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the very last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Lookin' Good...

your lot looks great, nice and flat. It's really hard to find that up here now a days. I work for a Civil engineering firm, and i couldn't tell you when the last time was that I had a lot that was that flat. Looks great, I hope to see more pictures as the progress moves on.

Congrats Glen! We have a creek by us here in W Tarrant Co. If there are already people in the area, ask how bad mosquitoes are. Our creek doesn't run unless it's raining, and dries up most summers. So it is somewhat stagnant. Mosquitoes love it!
    Also check to see if you would have to have flood insurance to get a loan on the house. We do, and our property is a good 14-15 feet above the normal level of the creek. Worst I've seen it was 4' up, and then it was over the bridge...only way in or out of this section of the subdivision. Investigate that if you have to cross the creek to get to your house. Also check to see if you can pull water from the creek to water the lawn. We can, when there's water available and when I have a working pump!!
    But all that said, we love our location, also on just under an acre, and really enjoy the seclusion and quiet. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.