Thread: Unifence Feeding Frenzy--What's Your First Impression After Setting Up?

Unifence Feeding Frenzy--What's Your First Impression After Setting Up?

I had a chance to install a unifence on my new Sawstop today. I got the Unifence to hold me over until my Incra TSLS arrives, and I thought this was a good deal on a fence many others have said good things about.

I was a bit surprised that the Unifence was not as smooth as my old T2 fence. It just doesn't glide as nicely. Personally, I like the Delta T2 better, but it would not have easily fit on the Sawstop. That, and I sold the T2 with my old contractor saw. Hopefully, the new owner will enjoy it as much as I did.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make the Unifence move a little more smoothly? Maybe waxing the inside of the rails?

Never had a problem with mine, check and see that all the surfaces are smooth, maybe a bit of wax.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I had noticed the same thing on the one I just installed. thought wow I like the T2 better just as you said. but a few minutes of use and all is good now.

Did you not like the sawstop fence. I love the fence on mine. I will never replace it unless it breaks, which I cannot imagine happening

If you want smooth on a swastop buy the TGide - smoothest fence I have ever used (compared to T2, Unifence, actual Bies and Incra LS Pro on my RT). I did like the sliding fence design of the Uni though.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

6. First thing is to adjust the two large plastic threaded screws on the front of the fence head so the fence handle doesn't lock down until it is almost pointing toward the floor(-70 to -85 degrees from horizontal).
    Second attempt might be waxing the rail but I don't remember it helping much on mine.
    Third consideration is put some of that UHMW drawer glide adhesive tape on the bottom of the fence extrusion itself. This really helps with the heavier Uni-T accesory Unifence extrusion.
    Fourth consideration is to put a roller on the opposite end of the fence head in place of the single threaded furniture glide. There is a small diameter, over 3" long/side furniture roller with a threaded end, often sold in singles on ebay, and available as a set of four from the hardware store, that will get rid of the furniture glide dragging across your saw table. I haven't done this one yet so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Kinsfather
    Third consideration is put some of that UHMW drawer glide adhesive tape on the bottom of the fence extrusion itself. This really helps with the heavier Uni-T accesory Unifence extrusion.
    The fence itself is NOT supposed to touch the TS top. I'm not sure how the UHMW will help.

Suggestion:
    1. Loosen the fence
    2. Lift the fence, and place about 10 sheets of paper under the fence at the mid-point
    3. Pressing down on the fence, tighten down the two bolts on the right-hand side of the fence
    4. Check, to ensure even spacing under the fence
    5. Repeat if necessary, until the spacing under the fence is about even along the entire length
    NOW you should have it adjusted properly, and it should glide smoothly.

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Al Navas
    Suggestion:
    1. Loosen the fence
    2. Lift the fence, and place about 10 sheets of paper under the fence at the mid-point
    3. Pressing down on the fence, tighten down the two bolts on the right-hand side of the fence
    4. Check, to ensure even spacing under the fence
    5. Repeat if necessary, until the spacing under the fence is about even along the entire length
    NOW you should have it adjusted properly, and it should glide smoothly.

That is exactly how I set it up. The drag seems to be from the point where the fence meets the rails. The T2 and Bies ride on UHMW pieces, whereas that does not seem to be the case with the Unifence. Maybe I'll use some UHMW tape on the underside of the fence where it meets the rail. Hmmm. Then again, maybe I'll just forget about it and use as is until my Incra gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips
    Did you not like the sawstop fence. I love the fence on mine. I will never replace it unless it breaks, which I cannot imagine happening
    It's not that I dislike the Sawstop T-Glide fence. It's probably the smoothest Bies-clone that I have used. I just decided that I wanted the repeatability and microadjustability of the Incra TSLS, which was on sale at Amazon for $272. Since the TSLS is on backorder, and I found a Sawstop in stock at a local retailer instead of having to order and wait, I just picked up the Unifence to tide me over, thinking I could probably get back what I invested when I go to sell it and it would give me another fence to compare.

Unfortunately, without modification the Unifence rails sit too high on the Sawstop table, and come up above the bottom of the miter slot.