Thread: New Material

Question New Material

Hello Everyone!

At a woodworking store yesterday while I was waiting in line, I came across an article on impregnated wood. In a special process, acrylic is forced into dried wood. It makes the wood up to 4 times harder and eliminated bowing/warping due to humidity changes.

You can see examples at http://www.woodsure.com

I know for a fact that woodworkers have it laser engraved.

Does anyone have experience in laser cutting the material. If so, how did it go?

Looking forward to your reply,

DAK

John,
    It looks interesting, but extreamly expensive. From $50 to over $200 a board foot is a bit salty in my opinion. I guess it would all depend upon the customer but at those prices for unfinished material I don't think it would be something I would want any learning curve on.
    I think if I was looking at it I would get the sample packs and run them to see how well it would work.

I could see some impressive items coming from it , but I could see a lot of time needed to master the right process for it as well.

Garry

That material is actually quite old. In its original form it was used for kitchen knife handles with the idea that combined with a stainless blade they could be put into the dishwasher. (dishwashers weren't so common then) The material went under several names; one I recall was pakkawood. That was 50 years ago.

It's laserable but I don't know about cutting.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It's worth it...

Granted its not a new material, its new to me. It certainly a very exciting prospect for the kind of work I do. My customers are willing to pay top dollar for exotic materials. Not to mention, I like having the nitch that none else is using.

DAK

This is stabilized wood

I use this for an inlay material. It is also great for turners (pens especially). These folks have better prices and may actually be the ones doing the work here. They also have blocks of dyed stabilized wood for sale if you just want to play with this material.

http://www.stabilizedwood.com/

-James Leonard
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool