Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable table saws

Portable table saws

Hello all....I'm looking for a portable 10" table saw to take to the job. The one in my shop is to big & I need something thats portable by one person. It has to works well.I've read a few things about the Bosch & the Ridgid. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

I think the Bosch has some very nice features. First and foremost, it has a riving knife-like splitter. Also, it has a pretty powerful motor. It also has decent dust collection around the blade. I had one until I upgraded to a cabinet saw.

Angry 10"Table saws

I bought the Bosch 4000-7 10" table saw with folding base about 18 months ago and am generally satisfied with the performance. The only item I dont like is that the table does not have a standard t-slot for any accessory but a 3/4" wide straight slot. Therefore I am limited in what I can use as accessory.
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

For my reno company I use the Bosch. It is hands down the best in the portable market ( I've had pretty much all the others including the ridgid). Buy it you won't be dissapointed.

Blog Entries
    My brother has the Bosch and is quite pleased.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-30-2007 at 6:54 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had the Bosch for 5 yrs and like it. If it quit tomorrow morning by noon the new one would be set up and running.
    Jim
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

before you buy the bosch, keep in mind that there's a new model (4100) coming out complete with digital fence as well as an improved blade guard.

Portable Saws

Well I did the same research late last year. What I learned was the Bosch
    was the highest rated with yup you guessed it the Ridgid coming in a close second. I ended up with the Ridgid because I liked the fence better and it
    was a little lower to the ground and at the time about $80.00 cheaper. They are both very nice saws but you need to actually feel both of them and see which one feels right to you.

I have the Bosch, and I love it. I have the older one which came with a fold out stand without the wheels. I never move it so it is not an issue for me. I got the extension support rails which I like and I put a shop made router table between the right extendable table and the main table which allows me to use the table saw fence with a bolt on sacrificial fence for router operations as well. The arbor length is a little short and it will not accept a 10 inch dado blade. I have used an 8 inch dado with it with reasonable success.

DeWalt has a new one that's only $369....looks like I will be getting that one pretty soon. Had the Ridgid grey model and it did very well until the motor gave out on a hot summer day ripping WR Cedar [wasn't me and I suspect 'way too fast' stock feeding was the culprit], but that was a way different company than it is now.

For me it would be the DW or the Bosch hands down.

Of the two I'd pick the Bosch. The Rigid is a good saw but parts and service have always made me shy away from their equipment. Bosch has factory service centers in addition to authorized repair centers. My one knock on the Bosch is the sloppy miter gauge and lack of a t-slot. These saws have roughly 6" in front of the blade vs 12" or so of a full size contractor or cabinet saw- it's not uncommon to pull the miter gauge back past the table when crosscutting wider stock; the t-slot helps in that regard. One other I'd consider is the Porter Cable 3812S; soft start, electric brake, t-slot, full size table insert, and it seems to have plenty of power for this class of saw. I usually run a full kerf WWII or Freud LU84 with no problems and will handle a 6" dado blade up to 13/16". It costs less than the Bosch but only comes with a folding stand. If you want a wheeled stand you'll have to go aftermarket and that means you're in the Bosch price range. I've had my 3812 3 years and have been pleased with it. Fwiw rumor has it the upcoming Bosch model has a t-slot. If the rest of the saw is as good as the current one it should be about perfect.

Blog Entries
    I have several friends that use portable table saws and their pick is the Bosch...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I've owned both the Bosch and Ridgid, and though the fence, mitre slots and blade changes on the Ridgid are better, the Bosch was still superior in performance.
    If the new bosch performs as well while also making good on the aforementioned deficiencies, it'll be a darn good benchtop saw.

Bosch Tablesaw

I have a 2005 Bosch and I love it, but I'm trying to sell it becuase I want a cabinet saw. It's a very good saw. PM me if you are interested.

I love my Bosch 4000 although the short front is a problem for cross-cutting of any appreciable width. I have a SCMS that can handle up to 12" so it is not a problem in practice.

Even so, I would say the 4000 is the second best benchtop TS. The 4100 looks awesome - MAJOR tool envy.

Here's a link to the Bosch 4100 press release.

http://www.boschtools.com/about-bosc...Table+Saws.htm

Would there by any way to retrofit a t-slot into the existing miter slots of a 4000?

Matt