Thread: " In Days Of Old...."

" In Days Of Old...."

When I was building my present home ,I didn't have a large planer. I order some rough Honduras mahogony boards. I made my doors from some and this 18 footer for the counter. To long to run through my small planer....I worked by hand. Good aerobic excersise. Started with a ECE jack pane and finally The Primus wood smoother... The feel of the top is senuous.. you can feel the planning ...I never took a sander to it.
    Thats the "plane" truth.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 12-22-2003 at 10:24 AM.

Good stuff Mark, and dern purty.

Very nice work. Bet you are glad you didn't get the Zebrawood.
    Alan

Sensuous Serendipity

I am not always an orthodox Neander as most here know. Most of the time I rough surface my lumber with a powered planer, though when the mood strikes me I'll start from scratch with a scrub plane and go the whole hand tool route. In either case the final finish on the wood is always done with a hand plane. I absolutely hate sanding, its dust and mess, and most particularly the way it will raise wood grain when you dye the wood or use a water based finish. A hand planed surface can be finished with any water based product from dye to lacquer with any grain raising. Most important of all, like Mark says, it just feels right.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH