Thread: Who made this?

Who made this?

Hey folks. I have run across a very nice example of what I believe is Art Deco.
    This piece is from a non wood related forum, and I am looking for any insight or info on it. Most importantly how was the veneer work done, and what are your thoughts on the style/design?
    Here is a pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't make out the details of the bar up the middle of the piece, but I'm guessing the door hinges on it. The veneer may well be hammer-veneering.

The style/design? Well, each to his own....

Jamie.
    The doors are in fact hinged from the center post. The other pic I have is not very good.It shows more of the doors in the open position.
    It's interesting, at least to me.

I found some pictures of similar ones here and here, but I was unable to find any names or manufacturers or anything like that. Very interesting pieces.

Good luck.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I really like the look of this piece...including the furniture on the website that John provided a link to. It certainly is more creative to me than traditional stuff I often see emulated. My guess is that you must be quite familiar with making curved panels and veneering.

All the designs shown on the website and in your post appear to require a high degree of skill to fabricate, in my opinion. Also, lots of thought must be given during the design phase. Many of the pieces use custom glass and mirrors. Unfortunately, I have learned that custom glass and mirror is extremely expensive to have made.

Thanks for the inspirational post!

-Jeff

I agree that it needs more than basic skills to make a project with this type. The amount of time and the fabrication of the mould use to press the veneers will not be cheap. If you have access to maufacturers that has vaccum press and let you use them then that will make everything easier. However I've seen some that manually laminate the veneers and actaually saw that they were using flat irons to simulate the hot press machine used in big factories. You could try this but I bet this technique requires skill and experiece otherwise the veneers will lift and bubbling will be apparent.

Daniel & Gabrielle

Thanks for the help folks. I thought it was pretty interesting also.

John. Thank you for those links, they're incredible.