Thread: O.S sander

O.S sander

I was looking at sanders on grizzly's site,, they have the same style O.S. sander ryobi used to carry,,,,this is the style from ryobi I have,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evertsen
    I was looking at sanders on grizzly's site,, they have the same style O.S. sander ryobi used to carry,,,,this is the style from ryobi I have,,,,

Mike,
    I have the smaller Jet spindle sander and it seems excellent. In the customer reviews on Amazon it seemed to be eveyones favotite. It is the first one I have had so I can't compare it. It has lots of power and it is square to the table.
    Mark

Mike,

I bought the Porter Cable oscillating-spindle sander (PC-121) that you can use as a hand tool or invert into a table. I found uses for it in both instances. Woodpeckers carries a nice 3/8" thick Al plate for mounting it to and placing in a table (perhaps a router table if you have one). I love the versatility and one less piece of floor or bench-standing equipment.

Chris

I also have the PC-121 and have it mounted in my router table with a plate from Bench Dog. Seems like a good way to use my router table since I usually use the WoodRat instead for router work.

Evidently the plate has been discontinued by them but their site shows they still have some.

Dave, It is kind of funny but I mounted the Woodpecker's plate to my PC-121 and have basically left it on...even when using it out of the table! I just have to back-off the leveling set screws and it provides a nice, smooth, large stable platform to sand with.

I did get mine from Woodpecker's on a great sale (included an "email coupon", too) so maybe they are getting rid of them? I find it hard to believe that they would have poor enough sales on them to discontinue.

Chris

Chris, I do the same thing with mine. In fact, I frequently have the acrylic router table plate on my router when hand holding it too. I designed a jig for cutting scarf joints with the router which uses the router on the acrylic plate.

Not to hijack Mike's thread (too late? ) but I am interested to hear more about your scarf cutting jig. Are the scarf cuts for long runs of molding or was it designed with something else in mind?

Chris

Sorry, too, for the hijack.

The scarf jig was designed for joining the pieces for the rubrails on the sailboat I completed and launched in August. I don't know if these pictures will work. We'll see.

I set the jig up to make an 8:1 scarf. The two mating pieces are loaded up in the jig together. One piece is staggered back by 8 times the stock thickness to reduce waste.

By the way, in the first picture you can see my "Under $10 Router Lifter".

Hopefully the pictures work and make sense. If they don't, here's a link to the album. Scarf Jig and Other Stuff

Sears Craftsman

Mike,

I bought the Sears Craftsman O.S. Sander and love it. It has a nice roughly 18"square laminate covered table which makes holding the parts to be sanded rather easy and the laminate will not mark the parts. It is not a heavy duty 24/7 type machine, but seems to work fine for a hobbiest like myself. It uses the same sleeves as the Ryobi and a couple others. Just my 2 cents worth, but why spend more for industrial quality if you don't need it