Thread: Maple blanks

Maple blanks

We had to take down one of the maple trees Saturday at work. Have 2 more about this same size, maybe a little smaller to bring down also. This is a few of the pieces I cut. Diameter is 26-30" and getting them out was a chore since we couldn't get the truck back to where they are. The backhoe will be in later this week and we will cut it into probably 10' lengths and load them out. I think these are Red Maples based off the leaves and the bright red "helicopters". Not a bad haul but a lot of work. Guess the Stubby will finally get a true workout. I did anchorseal the ends but am wondering what's the best way to store them outside. On end or on their sides. Covered or not covered. On blocks or on the ground.
    Brian

Congrats on scoring some major wood! I would think that since you have the ends sealed you wouldn't have any problem storing the sections on their sides - on a pallet or something to keep them up off the ground. When I store my wood outside I don't cover it until winter. At your location (and your heat and humidity) I would be afraid of mold if you covered everything.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

3. Store? Chuck that stuff up and get it turned...

Man, I'd love to chuck it up but I've got so many other duties right now those are going to have to wait. I've got so much to do and so little time to do it in. Need to win the lottery or something so I can retire. I just don't have enough time for work for some reason since I started turning. Anyone else have this problem
    Brian

Nope Brian just bring it on up. Mark and I will chuck it up for you.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Based on responses I've gotten, I'd say seal the ends, and store them on the bark. If you store them on end, put them on stickers.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Yep, work shore gits in the way ok.....along with yard, SWMBO, dog, children,
    John 3:16

As I told my boss a short time ago, " Work is starting to interfere with my life."

Tony