Thread: Finally done! A place for my Makita SCMS

Finally done! A place for my Makita SCMS

Well it took me longer than I wanted but I finally got my New Makita LS1214FL set up in its new home.

I started building these cabinets last fall for this purpose but I had a different saw at the time. The Makita is a much larger footprint so I needed to make some adjustments to the receeded shelf in order to accomodate the slider.

The setup gives me about 6 feet to the left of the saw and 4 feet to the right. I still need to make the drawer boxes but this will give me a lot more storage.

The units are on casters. and I put the carcasses together with pocket screws. They are made from the Chinese Birch ply at the borg. The counter top is two 3/4 inch MDF slabs glued togther with hardboard on top. I trimmed it in pine. There is no trim across the back so I can remove the hardboard top in the future when it needs to be replaced for stains or wear.

I owe a lot of what I have been able to accomplish to the good folks here at SMC. I have learned a great deal from your posts and encouragement of each other. So my thanks to each of you.

I would have loved to been able to post something as awesome as Jim Becker's cantalevered Saw station, but I just haven't mastered that level of skill yet. Photo_033107_003.jpg Photo_033107_005.jpg Photo_033107_006.jpg

By the way. This Makita saw is pretty darn nice. One of the best deals I have ever gotten from Amazon.

Blog Entries
    Very nice SCMS station. It looks great, yet based on your description, it seemed fairly easy to make - a perfect addition to any shop with a miter saw. It looks like you just gave yourself a lot of storage and a couple of great surface areas for all sorts of work, not to mention convenient, mobile surfaces. That's a good idea to put it on casters and something I'll keep in mind if I ever get around to building one for myself.

Nice job.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Every SCMS Needs a good home.
    Well Done.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Nice Jeff,

Now you have to make a extended fence.

I did mine on the radial arm saw by putting threaded inserts

in the top. Made a L out of MDF, slotted the holes for adjustability.

Added some stick on tape measure, left and right.

Then crafted a movable stop.

Cheap, fast ,easy and accurate.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Per,

Thanks for the tip. That is a great idea.

Tim,

Casters are great. Anytime Harbor Freight has some on sale I go get a few. $3-4 each for swivels isn't bad. Even though this thing has weight to it to hold it steady I wish I had opted for some locking casters. Looks like I am going to make a few wheel chocks. Good thing WW'ing creates scraps

Tyler,

Thanks for the complement. I agree. It does deserve a home and this is one nice saw.

Great dsign. I love all the storage inder the top. Per's idea would be a useful addition.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Looks very familar.

I have a fence like Per describes on the short to do list but haven't gotten there yet.

You will like that set up a lot. Mine gets used everytime I am in the shop. Now to find a good method of dust collection.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

No problem Jeff,

Movable stop...

make a u outa MDF, (sounds godfatherish?)

use another threaded insert with a thumb screw to secure.

Set you back a buck.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jeff, great looking saw station! I wish I had the wall space to dedicate to my CMS. I usually just throw it onto some saw horses.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney