Thread: Simple Picture Frames

Simple Picture Frames

I mentioned in my "Weekend Doings" reply that I made some simple picture frames on Sunday and today and wanted to illustrate them before I close down for the holiday. Given my PC7518 is in the shop for a couple of weeks to get it's speed control circuitry fixed, I decided on a basic design that I could execute purely on the table saw.

Three sizes were made; three to accommodate 8"x10" matted "chicken" prints from Key West, one to handle an 11"x14" matted print also from Key West and one to display a beautiful 30"x13" matted print of plumb-bobs done by a relative of my father. The three smaller frames have 1 3/8" wide rails and stiles and the two larger ones have 1 3/4" wide rails and stiles. The corners are mitered and frankly, just reinforced with some brads. (The next batch will get splines once I build a jig to cut for them) A deep 1/4" wide rebate was cut in the back of the frame components to hold the glass, matt and backer with only a 1/8" lip at the very front. The edges are all square with just the corner knocked down with sandpaper very slightly.

These are all made from poplar off the property and finished with WB antique cherry dye followed by several coats of garnett shellac. The piece shown below is one of the smaller frames. (Sorry about the quality of the photo...I shot it quickly)

Happy holidays, everyone! 'Hope Santa is good to you and you have a great time with family and friends!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Frames

Jim,
    Great looking frame. I can't believe that some people refer to poplar as a secondary wood.
    I think poplar is a great looking wood and your frame proves it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley
    I can't believe that some people refer to poplar as a secondary wood. I think poplar is a great looking wood and your frame proves it.
    My former neighbor across the street had a wonderful drop-leaf table from about 1874 prior to the the fire that destroyed their home two years ago (that piece was unsalvagable, unfortunately). It was made of 24" wide clear poplar boards and had 5 poplar legs and one walnut leg(!). That poplar was the most wonderful color, both from aging and from the shellac finish that had aged over the years. There also was a picture in one of the mags within the past two years of a beautiful lap desk made from curly poplar...it was stunning.

I agree with you about poplar...very underrated. I use it a lot, not only because I have a ton of it, but because I like to work with it.
    --

Hey Jim or anyone else with stain/putty experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    My former neighbor across the street had a wonderful drop-leaf table from about 1874 prior to the the fire that destroyed their home two years ago (that piece was unsalvagable, unfortunately). It was made of 24" wide clear poplar boards and had 5 poplar legs and one walnut leg(!). That poplar was the most wonderful color, both from aging and from the shellac finish that had aged over the years. There also was a picture in one of the mags within the past two years of a beautiful lap desk made from curly poplar...it was stunning.

I agree with you about poplar...very underrated. I use it a lot, not only because I have a ton of it, but because I like to work with it.
    I am making a small corner cabinet out of poplar. I am going to stain it in maple. Do you know of any putty that will take on the stain. I am going to cover up 18 gauge brad nail holes on the face frame. In addition to that, I made the back out of birch ply and would like to know what will cover those holes as well and leave very little in terms of visibility of the putty. I am going to stain it all in maple. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. (I also used some 18 gauge staples on the back).

Quote Originally Posted by aurelio alarcon
    I am making a small corner cabinet out of poplar. I am going to stain it in maple. Do you know of any putty that will take on the stain. I am going to cover up 18 gauge brad nail holes on the face frame. In addition to that, I made the back out of birch ply and would like to know what will cover those holes as well and leave very little in terms of visibility of the putty. I am going to stain it all in maple. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. (I also used some 18 gauge staples on the back).
    Fill the holes right before your last coat of finish with a colored wax stick of the appropriate hue...if you have to choose between lighter or darker, slightly darker is better. there is no putty in the world that will take stain or dye and look like the wood. If you do need to fill holes first, use slivers of the wood in your project with the grain in the same direction as what it's going into.
    --

Thumbs up

Your Frame is very Beautiful. I really like the color. I also like working with poplar. I have seen some very beautiful work done with poplar. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a Great Christmas.

Nice work Jim. I like the finish.

Nice frame Jim. The color of the finish is right at home with the print subject matter also.............really ties it all together. There are some very ornate frames available, but I still think the simple, uncluttered frames are the nicest. Great work, as always. Thanks for sharing!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Fill the holes right before your last coat of finish with a colored wax stick of the appropriate hue...if you have to choose between lighter or darker, slightly darker is better. there is no putty in the world that will take stain or dye and look like the wood. If you do need to fill holes first, use slivers of the wood in your project with the grain in the same direction as what it's going into.
    thanks Jim! And by the way, Beautiful frames!

Poplar - The forgotten Stepchild

Jim,

Great job on the Frames - Also ths Shaker clock from another post.

I too like to work with Poplar and up here in VT, Poplar is almost always a throw-away and you can get it nearly dirt cheap. I have about 1500 Bd. Ft. air drying right now that cost me only $20.00

Have a Great Holiday Jim.

I sure wish I had a good source for walnut here (originally from western PA and we had plenty on our property)

Thumbs up

Jim
    Very nice work!
    I had to look twice at the wood. It looked like mahogany from your photo. BUT I went back and read your post, and the others.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

OT ruminations

jim - great looking frame.

your poplar comment reminds me of our first house ... it was a small 2 BR house originally built in the 40s by a judge and his wife for her sister. when we moved in, everything had been painted with varying colors and multiple coats of gloss paint ... crown mould, base, case, window shelves, doors, fireplace surround/mantle, everything. and the whole house (excl kitchen) had carpet - some of it LOUD shag (ugh).

to make a long story short, every bit of the extremely thick and figured trim was custom-milled poplar. and all the carpeted floors were narrow-board oak underneath. even the surround/mantle were poplar. a zillion little scrapings confirmed.

tragic,

b

Jim,

I like your frame. I didn't think poplar would stain up so nice.

Below is the last frame I made for the wife a few months ago. I forget how much she said the actual print and frame was. I remember it was a bunch. So she bought a place mat of the same print and asked for a frame to be built. I made this one out of cherry and finished it with Deft semi gloss. I guess rosters at the in thing now a days.

I made a table out of poplar that the wife was going to paint. But when I was done with it, it looked so nice I just put a finish on it. You'r right, it is under rated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Very nice jim. I should have stuck to simple. I just glued up an apple frame that could have been done if I had used my head. Simple is good.

I like the antique cherry dye. I dyed some ash with it and it was outsatnding.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Dave Smith

Break is over back to the shop in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes