Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G1071 Oscillating Spindle Sander

G1071 Oscillating Spindle Sander

Just wondering is any one has this spindle sander and if so what are your thoughts? And if you would buy it again of recommend it or get something else? It is on sale right now at $669.00 delivered.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have one that's about ten years old. It's okay, nothing more. Dust collection is mediocre, there's a lot of vibration and noise, and changing the spindles is a PITA. On the plus side, it's strong and heavily built. I got mine used, but I would probably not buy one again.

Arnold, what makes it so hard (PITA) to change the spindles? I currently have a Delta Boss and have been thinking about up grading.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I bought mine new about 2 years ago. It's a very solid piece of equipment, heavy, quiet and powerful. It can take off a lot of wood fast. For improved dust collection I clamp "Big Gulp" dust hood behind the spindle, no dust issues. Overall I am very pleased with it.

I bought one used and it is simple to change spindles and very solid and not much vibration at all. I probably speant that after including my cost to go get it. The one I bought had about 10 extra zero clearence inserts made as the previous owner was a metal worker.

I recently noticed a leak of the hyd fluid. Man that stuff smells.

I think that $669 is a great price!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have the shop fox version and it works just fine. The dust collection as mentioned could be better. All they really needed to do was increase the height of the existing dust collecting hood. Not sure why they didn't.

Griz

I have that sander and its about 5yrs old still works great.No,its not top of the line but neither is the price.Have no regrats buying it and if I had to do over,I would buy it again.Changing spindles is alittle of a pain and the wrenches that came with it "stinks",you would think that for 6-700bucks the wrenches would be better.It will take some wood off---Pics,better seesome pics---Carroll

Great price on a GREAT machine. You will love it. spindeles are easy to go on on mine and no vibration to speak of.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    I have one that's about ten years old. It's okay, nothing more. Dust collection is mediocre, there's a lot of vibration and noise, and changing the spindles is a PITA. On the plus side, it's strong and heavily built. I got mine used, but I would probably not buy one again.
    Ditto. Mine was purchased March 1998 and has same problems noted. The coupling fell apart after 30 seconds of run time. I will also add that the inserts are lousy. Who puts 1/8" thick inserts in a recess that is about 1/2" deep with about 1/2" leveling screws? Guaranteed to leave marks on your workpiece. I would definitely not buy this one again.

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    Arnold, what makes it so hard (PITA) to change the spindles? I currently have a Delta Boss and have been thinking about up grading.
    It requires two wrenches applied in a confined space. And the shaft has a tendency to lock up, so I apply anti-seize compound. I just don't think the spindle-change system was well-thought-out.

I too have had this sander for over 10 years and it has served me well. never one problem. Dust collection is great by just putting masking tape over the front opening under the table at the spindle change access. Throw away the wrenches that came with it and buy a couple of cheap open end ones. Nothing else out there in this size for the money.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne

Well it looks like we have a 5 to 2 ratio on liking and disliking???
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I went from the BOSS to that Griz machine two years ago; it is a definite step up. For the money, I think this machine is a good value.

Clay

I've had two of them. The first one was BBQ'd in a shop fire last year, and I replaced it with the same thing. I would label it as a "good machine", not a "great" one. However, I would label it as a "great" value.

Same comments as the other posters re improving the dust collection, and easier access to the spindle nuts - it's a little tight fitting two hands and two wrenches in that narrow opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    I've had two of them. The first one was BBQ'd in a shop fire last year, and I replaced it with the same thing. I would label it as a "good machine", not a "great" one. However, I would label it as a "great" value.

Same comments as the other posters re improving the dust collection, and easier access to the spindle nuts - it's a little tight fitting two hands and two wrenches in that narrow opening.

+1....I guess that make it 8 in favor of the machine.
    Wood'N'Scout