Thread: Makita 2012NB Lunchbox

Makita 2012NB Lunchbox

How come nobody ever talks about this lunchbox planer? It is well reviewed in Amazon (52x4.5 stars).

The consensus around here seems to be that the DeWalt 735 is the best of breed, but the poor knife life is widely known. As far as I know, it has not been fixed yet. Granted, the DeWalt is a beefier machine, but if people are getting good results with the Makita is this really an issue?

What am I missing about the 735 that makes it better? Are there any Makita owners out there that can give me the low down on the 2012?

Thanks,

Matt

I see it mentioned quite a bit when lunch box planer recommendations are given....along side of the Ridgid, 2 Deltas, and 2 DW's. It has a very loyal group of owners, which says something. The 735 has a built in chip ejector, 2 speeds, and 3 knife cutterhead. It doesn't come with infeed/outfeed tables. I don't find those features (or lack of) to be worth a premium, but at even money, I'd probably lean toward the 735 b/c of them. I usually recommend buying the best deal between the machines mentioned. They'll all do a great job when the knives are new.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-02-2007 at 5:28 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thumbs up Works for me

I've had one for a year and a half now in my hobby shop. I find it reliable, accurate. Blade changes are easy and pretty foolproof. It would be great to have a larger, sturdier platen - but then it is a lunchbox. I've worked up quite a bit of roughsawn white pine, hard maple and red oak on it. Finished surface shines when the blades are *sharp*.

- Jack
    Jack Hutchinson

I have the Makita

I managed to pick it up from amazon at about 1/2 the price of the dewalt, back when amazon did price matching. It is a fine planer, i had to tweak the tables a little to get rid of the snipe, but since i did that it is great.

as far as i know, the biggest diff between the dewalt and makita is that the DW has a 3 knife cutter and 2 speeds. The makita has a 2 knife cutter and 1 speed. I looked at the dewalt when i got the makita but i couldn't justify the $500 at that time (2 years ago). I think my makita will be fine until i get a 15" or larger stationary planer.

Hope that helps

Drew

Blog Entries
    If the price on the 735 hurts, the 734 is very nice, three blades but only 12.5" and single speed. So you give up a half an inch and the slow speed but save almost $200 (the 734 goes on sale at Lowes, the 735 just never seems to). I'm on the original knives after 12 months or so.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Man, I've had a 2012 for about 12 or 13 years now. It was relegated to oddjob planer a couple of years ago, but it's run a pile of hardwood through it. It still does a nice job. I have a quantity of blades that I picked up cheap on the bay, so I suspect that I'll have it until it blows up.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lentzner
    How come nobody ever talks about this lunchbox planer? It is well reviewed in Amazon (52x4.5 stars).
    I think it's often overlooked because it lacks the bells and whistles of it's competitors- only two knives, one speed, no head lock to engage but in the Makita's case simplicity is one of it's virtues. It's quieter than the DeWalt 735 and Delta 22-580, and it's lighter weight makes it more portable than either. Minimal snipe and it leaves a nice surface. It's two knives are easier to change than the 3 of the DW735. No issues with mine yet and by most other accounts it's dead reliable. The local lumber yard has two they run in their millwork department. Old engineers I used to work for had the K.I.S.S rule- Keep It Simple S_____. Complexity for it's own sake is no virtue but these days it helps sell tools- sell the sizzle instead of the steak. Or maybe I'm just an old luddite.

""How come nobody ever talks about this lunchbox planer? It is well reviewed in Amazon (52x4.5 stars). "

I think its because the big box stores sell the other brands. I have the makita and it works great when not taking off a ton of material. I often use it for finish work over my minimax planer. I have kicked the tires on the dewalts and rigids in the store and was less than impressed with either. I make a point to never buy dewalt and have been buying some rigid stuff but still think its a notch below makita, Milwaukee, bosch not to mention hilti and festool.

Dan

Matt, I purchased this box about 9 months ago when Amazon had it on sale free ship for $299.00. Its great and light to move around. But I also have the 15" 2040 Makita planner the one made in japan and its my workhorse in my shop. The box is great though...

"But I also have the 15" 2040 Makita planner "

Sold mine some years back and regret it to this day. A great planer- it's a shame Makita no longer sell stationary equipment in the US.

It's been discussed on this and other forums a fair amount. That's why I got one last summer when Amazon had a good deal. It works real well, and it's a lot lighter than the Delta 2-speed I had before (which also worked well).