Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benjamin's Best Source??

Right you are CPeter, my typo. disoordr is the guy. Sorry...Bill

I have a quote from disoorder and the saving is significant and I will be placing an order this week end after I decide on my final line up . I took my BB bowl gouge and removed and sanded and refinished the handle and buffed the steel and it looks as good as the expensive ones. took about 15 minutes. I tried the file test and the file just skated across the edge so I guess it is hard. I looked and P&N and even they are 3 times the money. I am gong to take a chance and I will report back.

CPeter
    Last edited by CPeter James; 04-07-2007 at 12:19 PM.

If you could skip the distributors & go straight to China you could get a
    better deal I bet.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bruce View Post
    I have tried "seller disorder" and "disorder" and have had no response from ebay. Is this the name or am I missing something here?

thanks.
    This disoorder on ebay is L&R Collectibles ..There great to buy from an very fast an do have lot of lathe tools ..The url for there store is http://stores.ebay.com/L-and-R-Collectibles-and-Crafts

happy turning Kenny Adkins

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cothren View Post
    I got one of the BB 5/8" bowl gouges... and wish I had that money back.
    Interesting! Maybe there is a difference in steel quality or hardening process. For what it's worth, the BB 5/8" Bowl Gouge is my favorite. I have a 3/8" and I'll not too excited about it......

Dale
    Jet1642-2hp (Mayo Lite)

I've had very good luck with my BB tools. All of them are hardened HSS. I did have a problem with a mismarked tool when I placed my order several years ago through PSI. The tool was marked as a bowl gouge but was actually a spindle gouge (based on the depth of the flute). I can't remember whether it happened on my 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" BB bowl gouge. PSI took care of the issue and promptly corrected their mistake.

Mark,
    After the way a friend was treated by a P&N representative, I decided I wouldn't ever consider their tools again. The short of the story is that my friend has a 1 1/4" spindle roughing gouge that has a large ridge of metal down the flute. This ridge obviously should have been ground away during the manufacturing process but was left behind. Because of the ridge right at the center of the cutting tip, the cutting edge is not continuous. The only way to correct the issue is to regrind the whole length of the flute. So he contacted their distributor (Greg Jensen) that sold him the tool about doing an exchange. Greg refused to do an exchange even though the tool had been lightly sharpened a few times. Keep in mind my friend had had this tool less than a month when he tried to address the issue. P&N is off my list for any future tool purchases regardless of quality.

PSI Chucks

Has anyone tried out the PSI chucks?

BB tools?

I have several BB tools,and have encountered none of the problems mentioned. I bought most of them frpm woodturningz.com. the last a 5/8 bowl gauge directly from PSI as I needed some pen paprts and direct is the only way to get them. I expected to go to the grinder more often with them. I was sure they would be Chinese steel, and they are. For half the money, I can grind more often.If you can not, spend more money the first time. Ultimetly you will grind it up any way.
    Bob

Question Benjamins Best Source

I'm curious, who or what is "P&N"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kennneth Sain View Post
    I'm curious, who or what is "P&N"?
    That's Patience & Nicholson from down under in Australia, mate. Sold without handles by Lee Valley, among others. Have never tried them but they have a good reputation.
    Regards,
    Dick