Thread: Waterlox finish sanding

Question Waterlox finish sanding

I am working on a small cherry side table, a bench with shoe storage, and a mirror frame for our entry. So far I have applied a light coat of dewaxed shellac, sanded, and then applied 3 coats of Waterlox with no sanding between the coats. Now, I would like to sand it, apply the final coat of Waterlox and then buff it.

For sanding, I want to use power sanders if I am equipped with the right sandpaper.
    I have Festool sanders (3mm orbit 6" and the Rotex) and Brillant paper up to 320 grit and Mirka Abranet abrasives at 400, 600, and up grits. Purely from a grit perspective Mirka Abranet 400 grit sounds reasonable but I am not sure if I need stereate sanding discs instead (is it Festool Titan?) to prevent clogging.
    I assume I should reduce the sander speed when sanding finishes to avoid melting of the finish.

What would be your recommended approach, something that worked in the past?

waterlox sanding

this probably should be in the finishing forum - but one technique I often use at final prep is to use automotive wet sandpaper (the 3M black stuff) 400 then 600 or 800 and a sanding block to hand sand with water, and finish off with wax, this seems to help develop a super smooth finish. Power sanding takes too much off too fast for me.

Frank, I agree with Terry, a power sander takes off to much material. For what its worth, I use 00000 steel wool lubricated with mineral spirits prior to the last coat. If I want to put on paste wax I use steel wool for that application as well and then buff it.

Finish and between coat sanding are always done by hand. Any mechanical sander is too agressive.

Waterlox is a brand name of a family of finishing products. Which one are you referring to?
    Howie.........

Smile Looks like hand sanding for me...

Thanks for the responses, looks like I will have to resort to hand sanding. I hate it, but in this case sounds like I am out of options. For some reason, I remember reading somewhere power sanding between coats, but sounds like my recollection is not correct, or at least not the best practice

Howard, the finish is Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish.

I will do wet sanding with mineral spirits using 400 then 600 followed by 800 grit paper based on your responses.

For the final buffing, I was planning on using Mirka Abralon products with paraffin oil as suggested by J. Jewitt. Please do let me know if you any suggestions on this as well.

I think power sanding between coats is generally very risky, but with a wipe on finish, it's positively hazardous and not recommended. Three coats is about equivalent to one coat of brushed on varnish. Original/sealer isn't intended for a high gloss finish, though when fully cured it will buff out pretty well. If you want a true high gloss, you would be better off with a final coat of the Waterlox Gloss. It also has higher solids content than the Original/Sealer and can be brushed on to give a thicker film to buff. For best rubbing out give the finish about a month to get really hard as the cure becomes more complete.

Why is it hazardous?

Steve,

I understand the "risky" part, but when it is dry sanded with dust collection, why do you think it is "positively hazardous"?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene
    I think power sanding between coats is generally very risky, but with a wipe on finish, it's positively hazardous and not recommended. Three coats is about equivalent to one coat of brushed on varnish. Original/sealer isn't intended for a high gloss finish, though when fully cured it will buff out pretty well. If you want a true high gloss, you would be better off with a final coat of the Waterlox Gloss. It also has higher solids content than the Original/Sealer and can be brushed on to give a thicker film to buff. For best rubbing out give the finish about a month to get really hard as the cure becomes more complete.

>>Howard, the finish is Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish

The Original Sealer/Finish is quite oil heavy and therefore quite soft. It's not the best choice if you plan to do any work on the finish after the final coat. I agree with Steve than a couple of coats of Original Gloss will give you a finish that, once fully cured, can be sanded and buffed. Let the finish fully cure for 3-4 weeks.
    Howie.........

Only that the there is a much larger risk of cutting through the layers and messing up the finish--not a health hazard. Sorry if my word choice was misleading.

Smile Sounds like a good plan

This was the first time I used Waterlox and really like the results so far. However, I did not realize the Original Sealer/Finish was softer and the Original Gloss was harder. I will keep this in mind. Thanks so much for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson
    >>Howard, the finish is Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish

The Original Sealer/Finish is quite oil heavy and therefore quite soft. It's not the best choice if you plan to do any work on the finish after the final coat. I agree with Steve than a couple of coats of Original Gloss will give you a finish that, once fully cured, can be sanded and buffed. Let the finish fully cure for 3-4 weeks.

Now that makes sense

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. I am so sensitive to the health and safety aspect of it I thought you meant that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene
    Only that the there is a much larger risk of cutting through the layers and messing up the finish--not a health hazard. Sorry if my word choice was misleading.