Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DW735 Planer Stand and Dust Collection?

I use the Ridgid Miter Saw Stand and Utility Vehicle for a stand for my DW735 and it works great. Use the rollers for infeed and outfeed instead of tables. You can mount the planer to a piece of plywood and then bolt the plywood to the table to line it up with the rollers. You could cut the rollers off and reweld them in line if you were so inclined. I know several that use this setup and like it. It has been on sale for $99 at the stores but I do not know if the sale price is still on or not.

I tried to put in a link but cannot get it to work correctly. You can do a search at Homedepot.com

Last edited by Allen Bookout; 04-05-2007 at 11:02 PM.

I purchased the accessory hose and fabric hood for my 735 shortly after I got it a year or so ago. The hood attaches to a plastic garbage can with a drawstring, and it works pretty well for me. Some of the fine stuff undoubtedly comes through the fabric hood, but it catches all of the chips and it's an easy job to take the hood loose and empty the can. Just don't forget to empty it before it fills up. DAMHIKT!

If you plan to use the planer both frequently and heavily, or are allergic to wood dust, or are just paranoid about fine dust, you'll want to hook it up to a good dust collection system.

If you connect it to anything that throttles the air flow from the internal blower, the chips could gum up the works and cause damage to the planer, so that's definitely not a good idea.

I initially considered using the planer at an open basement door and letting it blow the chips out into the back yard. I actually did that while planing wood to make a stand for it, and it's both a noise nuisance to the neighbors and makes a mess in the yard, so that wasn't a viable option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Clark
    For the planer stand, ...
    For dust collection, I see several options:
    Suggestions? What do you use?

Dan,

I built a flip-top stand for my DW735. Works great, and fairly simple to build.

For DC, I have a 2HP single-bag import DC serving my basement shop. With an upgraded upper bag and a plastic lower bag, I think it does an adequate job.

You didn't tell us what kind of a shop you are in. Basement? Detached? Garage? Are you in a warm or cold climate?

The safety instructions for the DW735 advise that you should not run the planer without some sort of DC method connected. This is because they are afraid of you sticking your fingers in the chip connection pipe and getting them mangled by the blower fan.

If you plane outside, and don't care that much about dust, you could just hook on a chunk of 4" hose, do your planing, and then sweep or shovel up the pile of chips afterwards. If you plane inside, you will need some sort of DC.

Dewalt sells a sort of garbage-can attachment. It is a short length of 4" hose, which connects to a fabric bag that you attach to the top of a trash can. This is good for outdoor usage, or if you use a dust mask, as it will not stop fine dust from escaping. I've seen it used at shows, and it does catch all the chips, but the fine dust blows through it.

As for infeed/outfeed. I find that an odd subject. Lots of people say that you need them to prevent snipe on this model of planer. But I've had my DW735 since fall, and run a few projects through it, and had virtually no snipe at all. And I do NOT have infeed/outfeed tables.
    "It's Not About You."

I have a "made myself" pre-separator copied after this plan from Woodcraft (http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid=408) hooked up to my small 1 hp Delta DC and the whole thing works pretty good. Unless the hose comes off the 735 then it makes a big mess in the garage!!
    The garbage can is a lot easier and faster to dump than taking the bag off the dust collector.
    Jim

Great comments!

I appreciate the great feedback.

My "shop" is my garage. Unfortunately, my shop has to share with two cars that insist on living there too! So space is a big issue.

I live in the Seattle area. Overall the weather is temperate, but opening the garage is a non-starter. Combine that with lack of space so installing a permanent DC is a non-starter too.

As much as I would like to build a nice table and a get a sophisticated DC, I realized that I just don't have the time now. I finally decided to just buy the parts Dewalt parts from Amazon. The standard cart, infeed/outfeed tables and the trashcan dust bag.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

I have the dewalt stand, even though the plainer is a Delta.

It's good, solid stand, and easy to set the wheels down and move when needed.

Looks like I made the right choice.

Sammy,

Thanks. I feel like I made the right choice even though I'd love to build one.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

I guess it just depends on how big you shop vac is. Before I bought my HF DC I just used my old Craftsman shop vac and it got practically everything I threw at it from the planer. I don't usually run the planer for hours a day during a project but an hour of planing, (give or take) meant I'd empty the shop vac once. Now, that's not constantly running boards through the planer end to end but you get the idea. It worked fine for me. Now with the HF DC I don't have to empty nearly as often. I did the cannister filter conversion with a plastic bag on the bottom so I can keep an eye on the level of the wood chips.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    For a planer...unless you really don't use it much, a shop vac isn't going to cut it for collection. The volume of material produced when planing even a reasonably narrow board is substantial. Honestly, without a regular dust collector, the best solution may very well be to wear a dust mask, just let the chips fly and sweep them up after the fact...and outdoors if that option is available. I know this isn't consistent with Sam's response, but it is my best answer based on a number of years of responses from others on the same or similar questions.