Thread: Palmgren lathe for $299?

Palmgren lathe for $299?

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks, but this is my first post. I am a new turner, although I have had one of the cheap sheet metal HF lathes for about 10 years. I bought it mail order (before the retail stores) for $60 delivered. It is a POS but has done the simple chores I've ask it to do. I say I am a new turner, cause I don't consider what I've done on that lathe true turning! I plan on making pens for the Freedom Pen Project initially and move up to more challanging projects. I don't see myself turning large bowl or Hollow Forms, as my wife has no interest in them as a decorating item!

I going to buy a new lathe soon so have been pouring over the reports of varisous machines in my price range on this board. One of the ones that seems to have some respect is the Palmgren, and had been stated that it runs about $299.

Maybe those were old posts! The cheapest one I can find is the Craftsman marked version at sears for $449. The other vendors are asking more than that, plus the $100 - $125 shipping on top of the price. Am I looking in the right place?

The other lathe I am considering is the new Grizzley G0462. My only concern with it is the low end speed. Any first hand accounts on the 0462?

Thanks, I appreciate all that I have learned, and will learn from this board.

Mark Hubbs
    Huntsville, AL
    "Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

All I can say is Jet mini lathe 10" x 14" indexing without electric variable speed. (You just change the belt to a different pulley, it takes about 10 seconds) $199.00 including free shipping and no taxes, right this second at Amazon. Though I will move up in the future, it is the only lathe that I have turned on for several years now.

Amazon.com ddid have the palmgren for 299 and free shipping in January and part of February. It changed to 299 with 150 shipping until just a couple of days ago. It is now 359 with 150 shipping. I know I am watching and waiting for the 299 free shipping, but may not see it for a while. I have heard many good reponses to people owning the palmgren. A few problems with quality control, but the constomer service has been very good on making things right and getting the parts next day to the customers.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Mark, Welcome!
    You are correct in being concerned about the Griz lathe's low-end speed. Griz sells a lot of great equipment but unfortunately their lathes are all deficient in this area (except for a new $1295 EVS model that seems to have been delayed in its release).

Can't help with the Palmgren. I've seen good reviews on SMC but also some significant concerns raised. FWIW it does seem that their customer support is good.

I think that the rikon mini is on sale at woodcraft for $199 for the rest of the month. not sure about shipping but I think not as much as you have been quoted elsewhere.

Rikon Mini

I did not know the Rikon was on sale. It is a little smaller than I wanted, but it is a good machine. I have used one at the Redstone Arsenal craft shop and liked it. For that price it is a good option, especially when I can drive up to Frankin TN and pick it up.
    "Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

"The other lathe I am considering is the new Grizzley G0462. My only concern with it is the low end speed. Any first hand accounts on the 0462?"

I've only had mine for a week. So far, I like it, but a week isn't worth much...

Thanks,

Bill

I have a palmgren I got about 6 months ago. I have had no problems with it. Does anything I ask of it. I have turned a lot of pens on it and several bowls. Still looks like new and runs like new. I got it from Amazon for $298 and free shipping.