Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best cross cut sled…

Best cross cut sled…

Best cross cut sled… for …35” x 23” panels from ripped 8’ x 23” strips on my Grizzly 1023SLWX?

Maximum rip to the right side of the blade is 26”.

I don’t need anything elaborate.

My extension wing on the right is large because of the router table capability, so I think I have plenty of support there.

I have Shop Fox roller tables, so support on the left should be no problem.

I’m just visualizing some sort of a large sled… probably ľ mdf with a good, long fence.

Also, what would you suggest for the miter slot runners? If not hardwood, what and where?

Thank you!

Paul

I would talk to a machine shop and try to get rectangular steel stock that's 3/4ths inch wide (I think that's the right size - but measure you're groove), by whatever it takes to seat deep in the groove (something a little less than the depth of the groove).

The guy I do WW with is a mechanical engineer, and he got some from work, or from his favorite machine shop buddies. I'm not sure where I'm going to get mine, but I'm convinced it's worth the extra effort vs. hardwood runners.

His sled is more accurate because of that - and will wear longer.

If you don't know where you can get some, talk to a machine shop or to some local WWs who might have done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Simmel
    Also, what would you suggest for the miter slot runners? If not hardwood, what and where?
    I picked up a pair of these.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3178

You have to put some holes in the top of the sled for mounting/adjustment screws, but if you get past that they're pretty nice.

Blog Entries
    If you have enough table to the right of the blade, clamp a temporary fence made of waxed scrap @ 35" . . . or;

Hardwood on this one:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50581

UHMW on these:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=53569
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RickT Harding

You have to put some holes in the top of the sled for mounting/adjustment screws, but if you get past that they're pretty nice.
    I've been wondering about those for the sled I'm planning to make. I'll have to see in my local WoodCraft has them so that I can see them up close before I decide to use them.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

6. When I built my cutoff sled about 15 years ago, I use the UHMW plastic mat'l used for jigs for my miter slot guides. after cutting the strips to a near fit, I used a scraper to fine tune them to a snug fit. The runners have worked great.

I have been using

Hardwood miter slides for years and have not worn them out yet.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

I used the ones from Incra on both my sleds, they work well and are adjustable so you can keep the sled snug in the tracks.

The holes don't seem to effect anything other than the looks, don't forget the adjustment holes..

Al....yup I did the first time.
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock
    I've been wondering about those for the sled I'm planning to make. I'll have to see in my local WoodCraft has them so that I can see them up close before I decide to use them.
    You can't see the slides here, but here's the hole layout and what it looks like.

http://mitechie.com/uploads/images/panel_sled_2.jpg

The small holes are for the hex tightness adjustments and the larger holes are counterbored holes for the screws that hold it all together.

What type of wood is being used for the fence in all these sled links?

I haven't actually used the Incra runners linked in the quote below so I can't speak from personal experience but I do remember reading that because they are aluminum they can gaul, (sp?) and become sort of sticky in the miter slot over time. I don't know if this is true but I can imagine that might be a problem. Maybe a healthy coat of wax would solve any potential problems.

On my only sled I use UHMW runners. Quite a few places sell a version of them. They don't come with a way to make them fit snug in the miter slot though so I just dimpled them with a punch. It wears over time so you have to keep doing it. It's not hard though.

Another product I've seen that looks promising is these phenolic runners by Highland Hardware. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=2546 I haven't tried these either but it's the only place I've seen them and they good. Shave them with a scraper to fit.

I can't find the link right now but I've seen some adjustable inserts that look similar to the kind that come stock on some miter gauges. You drill holes through the sides of a miter bar and screw these in. Then you just adjust them with a screw driver. I think the part that rubs on the sides of the miter slot are made from phenolic but I'm not certain. If I find the link I'll post it. These seemed like a great way to fix the older miter bars that have no easy way to adjust them to the slot. Sorry I can't remember more of the details though. I've also seen that you can buy inserts with a spring loaded ball bearing on the end. You drill through the sides just like the other ones. I think I saw them at McMaster Carr or another one of the large industrial parts supply houses. Maybe do a Google search for, "Ball Detents".

Rockler sells one that looks just like the bar on my stock General miter gauge. It's cheap and might be your best bet for an easily adjustable miter bar. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by RickT Harding

I really like the feel of my sleds with hardwood runners.....smooth and accurate....a little wax and they just glide
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Ben the Incra will scratch the TS top, so some care needs to be given, I just set my sleds up so the guide sticks out the back about a 1/2" and lift the sled onto the TS verticially, putting the guides in the grooves, then dropping the front of the sled down onto the table.

I find in Minn the hardwood changes size to much for me, sometimes just right, sometimes a bit loose, the alumimun doesn't do that for me.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

14. I recently saw on TV both Norm Abrahms and Tools & Techniques (on DIY network) build exactly that. It was simple and would only take a 30 minutes to make from scrap around the shop. I also think oak runners would be excellent and would be trimmed for the perfect fit. And when waxed would work very well. I definately dont see spending $15 or more per miter slide for this.

Blog Entries
    I have used white oak, pretty stable, very tough. Currently I'm test driving KD fir with a 2" x 4" profile relying on mass v.s. density for stability. We'll see how it goes.

You can see by the thread that the fence i s adjustable. The theory here is that if the seasons cause the fence to go out, I'll just run the face across the jointer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler