Thread: questions re mobile base and fence 22124

questions re mobile base and fence 22124

Which Delta welded mobile base will accommodate Craftsman 22124 table saw. I saw these stands at tampa woodworking show and they seemed perfect for what I am looking for but I neglected to get the right model number. I want to be able to easily slide the table saw into a slot on the back garage wall underneath my miter saw table. The saw base measures 22 x 20 and I am guessing that 22 is the width, have not taken the saw out of the box yet.

I am also considering mounting the rails 10" further right than standard to
    increase ripping width. Will this make saw tipsy? Will I require support legs? Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't think that moving the rails to the right will hurt anything. I don't think there's enough weight there to make it "tipsy". I moved mine shortly after I got my 22124, but I also built a 48" extension table for it, so I needed legs on the right side.

Tom - Welcome to SMC!

I moved my rails to the right 10" and added a good size router table. I didn't notice it being tipsy even in use, so I'd guess it's not essential, but it's still prudent just to be safe. It's easy enough to do...even a single leg would suffice.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I also own a 22124, my first table saw. There are times I wished I could use my fence to the right more. How do you move the rails?
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dean
    I also own a 22124, my first table saw. There are times I wished I could use my fence to the right more. How do you move the rails?
    Remove the fence. Unbolt the switch. Unbolt the front rail from the angle iron, and slide it one set of holes to the right...~ 10". Remount the front rail to the angle iron. Pick a spot on the rail to drill, tap, and remount the switch. Lift and remount or replace the measuring tape ~ 10" to the left of where it was.

Moving the rail literally only takes a couple of minutes. The switch may take a while longer to mount. Recalibrate your cursor on the fence and consider supporting the right wing somehow. You'll now have about 40" ripping capacity to the right.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Crud!

I wish that I had seen this post 2 weeks ago. I was replacing the right extension table on my 22124, and I had the fence tube off so I could get to the screws holding the extension table to the angle iron. I remember the threads about the 10 inch shift, so I took the angle iron piece off, and then came upstairs to get on the computer to locate the threads. My internet connection happened to be down at the time, so I went back to the shop and spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out how to make the angle iron piece move 10" to the right of where it started without drilling new holes. I just couldn't see a way to make it happen, so I said the heck with it. I had to go through the whole installation & alignment process when I put the angle iron back on. What a pain.

Now I find out that I was trying to move the wrong part... I just kept hearing Homer Simpson going "Doh!" over and over in my head as I read this thread ...

How difficult is it to pull the measuring tape off of the tube, Scott? Does the tape get mutilated in the process?

Thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Adelong
    ... How difficult is it to pull the measuring tape off of the tube, Scott? Does the tape get mutilated in the process?

Thanks
    Michael
    Next time you'll have it down to a science! My tape came off pretty easily, and I actually reattached it 10" over. Clean the rail with alcohol before reattching it. I had some inexpensive adhesive measuring tapes in the shop that I added as an extension between the 30" and 40" marks. A brand new tape should be < $10 if the original gets mangled.

Tom, I too just purchased this saw. I good friend of mine no longer uses his mobile base for his Delta Uni. He gave me the Base. I went to Sears and measured the floor model and confirmed my "gifted base" is a perfect fit. (About 1/2 inch clearance.) The model is Delta 50-289 (95E) and includes the side extension for an extended side table and legs. I plan on the extension being for my router. This coming weekend I hope to get started on assembly. I was blessed by a good friend that saved me nearly $150. You can find this mobile base on Amazon. Hope this helps. Also, this is my first post since I just found this nice forum! Thanks.
    Kev
    Last edited by Kev Godwin; 04-09-2007 at 5:56 PM.

Moving Ext Tables

One heads up from another brand TS owner....
    If you move things to increase your cut capacity (or add longer rails), the saw may not seem any more or less tipsy UNTIL you try to make a cross cut a heavy sheet with a full sheet or close to. Adding a mobile base also raises the tip point some...LOL.
    Personal experience:
    A small cross cut on a full sheet of mdf can cause a 4 legged table saw to stand on 2 legs and have the ends of the rails find the floor....DAMKIT . Ok, don't ask I'll tell.
    I was hurrying to cross cut about 12" from a sheet of mdf, The TS was basically brand new, so I just "HAD TO" use it. About 6" into my cross cut, the saw tipped slowly & steadily went from 4 feet on the floor to teetering and landing on the ends of the rails...all while I was trying to hold the sheet of mdf, find the on-off switch and not kill myself .At least the TS motor popped the breaker when it bound up.
    KODAK moment I was glad nobody had a camera for!
    I bought the extension kit for the Shop Fox base that day, and reminded myself the new toys aren't always the right one for the task at hand!