Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good wood for a raised garden?

good wood for a raised garden?

Hey,
    We are working on making two 3'x12' planters with a dog-proof 6' tall trellace/wall around a total area of 8'x12'. We are currently wondering what wood to use that's a good combination of durability and price. Right now we are kicking around using plastic wood, redwood, or cedar. We want this thing to last at least 10 years in a fairly warm, dry So Cal climate. The lower area has to hold up 2' of dirt above ground, and then posts are going to support trellaces and a shade covering it. Mostly we're worried about what wood to use to hold back the dirt and for the posts since they are the most susceptible to rot. What are your suggestions for this?
    "Irresponsibility-
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." - despair.com

Cedar, redwood, white oak (NOT red oak), mahogany, locust (heartwood), etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Redwood

I am in the proccess of doing the same thing. I used pressure treated to frame the boxs and am facing it with redwood.
    Good luck.
    Dick

Locust if you have a saswmill nearby might be inexpensive and very durable.. It is here..

Tom

If you have access to railroad ties, they work good.

DK

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    I have a raised garden that has been up for four years now and it is made with pt pine. I lined the inside with garden fabric. As of now there as been no signs of rot or decay.

Do not use pressure treated wood or railroad ties for a vegetable garder

I just made a raised bed last weekend and after much research used Redwood, but Cedar and the other suggestions will work well too. If it is a vegetable garden do NOT use pressure treated wood and especially NOT railroad ties. The chemicals will leach into the soil and into your vegetables which can be very unhealthy from what I read. If it is a flower garden that is a different story though.

I hate to be a pot stirrer (well not really) but unless there is new data that I have not seen you can use treated lumber for food growing retaining areas.

Both the USDA and at least one ag scientist at MSU (Michigan State has a huge ag program) have given sceintific opinions based on tests that the risk from chronic arsenic exposure is almost zero. This is using CCA treated lumber, which isn't widely available anymore. ACQ treated lumber does not have any toxic (at least listed with EPA) chemicals.

That said, Pressure treated lumber is ugly and not much cheaper than using fence grade white oak boards which look around a thousand times nicer if done correctly. If you are going to build one you may as well make it look nice.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I would be concerned about the warping of the pressure treated wood, at least in Texas.

Around here, cypress is plentiful and practically rot-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hayes
    I would be concerned about the warping of the pressure treated wood, at least in Texas.
    Ditto that. I bought some treated pine 2x4s to level a spot in the backyard for a pool. 2 days in the sun had them looking like pretzels.

Asthetically, I despise treated lumber. As Jim said, cedar, white oak, redwood, etc will work.

All the other woods mentioned are good. Consider Cypress & Yellow Popular too. Bugs don't like either one and both weather nicely.
    Ron In Clanton, Alabama

Shoot amongst us boy, one of us has got to have some relief!

I made my beds 7 years ago out of 1 x 6 cypress boards a local lumberyard was clearing out. I'm in Massachusetts, and the soil is wet year-round. The wood shows no rot yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Blaise
    ...Yellow Popular too. Bugs don't like either one and both weather nicely.
    Not so on the Yellow Poplar (Tulip Poplar)...breaks down quickly based on my experience with the wane from my milling of the same here on the property, including critter action.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz
    I hate to be a pot stirrer (well not really) but unless there is new data that I have not seen you can use treated lumber for food growing retaining areas.

Both the USDA and at least one ag scientist at MSU (Michigan State has a huge ag program) have given sceintific opinions based on tests that the risk from chronic arsenic exposure is almost zero. This is using CCA treated lumber, which isn't widely available anymore. ACQ treated lumber does not have any toxic (at least listed with EPA) chemicals.
    Joe
    Unfortunately, that was the opinion on many chemicals during their heyday. Thirty years later, opinions changed. I'd rather not risk it with plants that are raised for human consumption, especially when other woods at a similar price point look better and perform as well or better.