Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earring carousel

Earring carousel

In 'playing' with my new 36EXT, I thought I would try out one of my earlier designs of an earring carousel I came up with. It needs some work, but it's functional. Hang the earrings on the carousel and it lets the user rotate the carousel around to select the earrings and provides a some storage for them also.

It's made from 1/8" thk black acrylic. I gave the prototype to our neighbor over a year ago and she still uses it today.

The ETX did fine!

Sorry about the lousy pics though.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

very nice....

David, do you mind sharing the file? I really like it and my ear rings would like it also.... Have you made one for your wife?
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

That is so cool! The answer to my wife's problems almost, the hours she has spent shouting "have you seen my little earrings, the one Auntie Dorothy bought me..." to name but one!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks. I enjoyed making it. Here's the file if you would like to give it a try. If you do, hope you can post some pics to show it off (better than my crappy pics, hopefully )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by David Harvey; 04-07-2007 at 9:11 AM.
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

David,

I really like this! What size is the finished piece? Am I correct that it holds 12 pairs of earrings? Just asking because some of us have a few more than 12 pairs.
    Maybe I'm missing it in the photo, but is there a cover that flips up (like a large Rolodex would have) to keep out dust. Some of us don't dust as often as we should either. Boy, really showing my age there with the Rolodex reference!

Thanks for posting this really neat piece!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda,
    Glad you like it. It holds 12 earring sets. In this design there is no cover but one could easily be made from clear acrylic ( like a box) that could be lifted on and off.
    One could also change the base and easily create a slide out drawer, felt lined, to hold additional earring sets, etc.
    It is 6"h x 6.5"D x 3"w, but this can easily be changed as desired. My original also had stick-on decals of a flower that I print/cut and applied to the knobs (non functional, btw) which dressed it up. Also, on the original, I cut an overlay for the base from gold adhesive backed acrylic mirror. It looked really classy with all of the trim work applied. I didn't bother to do it on this one.
    David

Thanks for the info.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

David, thank you for uploading the file, I might even try wearing earrings if I decide to go ahead and make one! I'm kidding ( well...not really ) it's always interesting to see how other people make stuff, so thank you for the opportunity
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Hey Frank. If you make one, I'd rather see a pic of you wearing the earrings
    David

Earring Carousel

Very nice David. Could you please post the file in corel 11. I just can't afford X3 right now.

Thanks,
    Greg Sloan
    Greenbush, Mi.
    ULS M-300(40W) corel 11

Greg, here it is v11 format.

Let me know how they like it!
    David

12. I don't know why, but clicking on the link gives me a page full of garbage, and saving it and then trying to open it does the same thing. Any ideas?

EDIT: I just tried it with corel x3 open, and it looks good.
    Last edited by Robert Stremcha; 04-09-2007 at 12:24 PM.

thanks Dave-

I like to look at files others have created. I learn a lot from looking at other peoples work. How did you draw the shaps for the pieces? Also- did you create the hearts and little bubbles under them or did you get them from somewhere? All I can seem to make are things with straight lines. I also noticed you did a copy write of your drawing it that hard to do and how did you learn how to do that?

Again looks like a nice project I'm excited to make one this weekend....
    Carol VanArnam Epilog Helix 60w, Corel 12, I like chocolate.....

Modification On Earring Holder

Quote Originally Posted by David Harvey View Post
    Greg, here it is v11 format.

Let me know how they like it!
    Thank you Mr. Harvey for this .cdr....I have modified it to work with 1/8 & 1/16 wood I had...it now holds 24 earrings...I had to widen the base portion because some of the earrings were hanging in the cut out heart....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]James Wright - Haventouch Enterprises Inc. Dahlonega, Ga. (Epilog Laser Mini 24 - 45 watt, CorelDraw X3, PhotoGrav 3.0) "Who is John Galt ?"

Re-re-engineered in 2mm acrylic for us european types. The holes have gone in this version, and I also redid the central spindle...partly for reasons of torque, but mostly because I didn't have anything round to use.

EDIT: The spindle is 2 bits of flat acrylic that slot together to make an 'X' cross section. There's 2 small discs that fit exactly into the hole through the verticals, each held in place by a larger disc on either side. I also put a large disc on either side of the main carousel disc. Hang the expense.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 03-18-2008 at 2:16 PM.