Thread: Hammer jointer/planer combo

Hammer jointer/planer combo

Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it? Do you also have the mortiser attachment? Is it worth it? Thanks.

While I don't have the Hammer, that brand, associated with Felder, has a good reputation. The recent article in Fine Woodworking comparing several 12" J/P machines said nice things about it, too.

IMHO, the mortisers are indeed "worth it" if you can accomodate it in your shop. The only reason...and I do mean only reason...I don't have one for my J/P is that the particular generation of tool I have has the mortiser mount on the back of the J/P and that just will not work in my shop. Fortunately, my good friend and coworker, Robert Tarr, has the mortiser for his J/P and he's just up the street...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Dick,

The Hammers are nice machines- a friend of mine has the 12" jointer/planer, it does a beautiful job. Also take a look at Mini Max. I've got a Felder sliding table saw, and in July I pick up a Felder AD741 jointer-planer at the IWF show in Las Vegas.

When I ordered my jointer/planer, I was debating between getting the slot mortiser, or the Festool Domino. I ordered the Felder with the mortiser chuck (but without the mortiser), in case I decide to buy the mortiser in the future. My plan was to get a Domino, then decide if I also want the Felder mortiser. I've had the Domino for a few days now, and wow. I made a frame out of some scrap, accurately and in record time. Compared to my hollow chisel mortiser, and the slot mortiser that I used in a class, the Domino is by far my favorite method of the three.

Todd

Welcome, Dick. I have a Hammer 12" J/P combo, and have run miles of wood through it in the last six years or so. It is a good machine. I don't have the mortising attachment. A plunge router can do almost the same things, at a substantially lower cost.

BTW, SMC's Search function works quite well. It can find you lots of threads about combo J/Ps, and the Hammer in particular. Hit the Search tab at the top of the page, and/or look at the bottom of this page; Search has already found a few related threads for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan
    Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it? Do you also have the mortiser attachment? Is it worth it? Thanks.
    I do and I really like it. I have the 12" model.

The Felders have more adjustment such as the pressure rollers but the Hammer is so well designed and built that I have absolutely no complaints.

My mortiser is a $100.00 X- Y milling table With sliding handles replacing the dials and adjustable stops all round using a Triton 3.25HP router. I'm more than happy with it.