Thread: A Cedar bowl

A Cedar bowl

First of all thanks to Bob Lasley for the Cedar. It made its way home from Terry Hatfield's shindig. I was able to cut this board into 6 blanks. This is the first bowl and it was a Christmas present for mom. It is 9" dia and 4" tall with a strong 1/4" wall. Three coats of Watco's natural and Beal buffed.

Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Terry Quiram; 12-25-2003 at 7:34 PM.

Very very nice Terry. Your mom must be really pleased. I have recently begun to use a mini lathe. Although, I am having some success with pens I have tried a couple of bowls that did not make it to completion. I know, practice, practice, practice. I have some beautiful black walnut from one of my trees that I would love to make bowls out of but will wait until I get more proficient.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

Terry,

You are welcome. Glad to see that big hunk of cedar turn into something so beautiful. You are a master of metamorphosis! (That's too big a word for me, not even sure I spelled it right. Let's just say you make some darn purty things out of old pieces of wood)

Merry Christmas,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram
    First of all thanks to Bob Lasley for the Cedar. It made its way home from Terry Hatfield's shindig. I was able to cut this board into 6 blanks. This is the first bowl and it was a Christmas present for mom. It is 9" dia and 4" tall with a strong 1/4" wall. Three coats of Watco's natural and Beal buffed.

Terry
    Terry,
    Very fine work, excellent finish!
    Merry Christmas
    mark

That'd be one fine Christmas present, Terry and one, which I'm sure, "mom" will truly appreciate today AND tomorrow! Best wishes!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

That slab of cedar didn't look anything like that the last time I saw it !!

Great looking bowl

Merry Christmas to you and the better half.

Ace

Most excellent my friend. I have a cedar bowl half done along with about 50 others now I see what to look forward to.

I asked once before, but maybe you didn't see the post, do you want some alder. It is 5/4 rough 8 to 12 inches wide. Some pieces are cracked ends and others have defects. If you are interested let me know. Same deal as the last time.

Dave Smith

Pushing wood in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes