Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domino and Dust Collection

Blog Entries

Domino and Dust Collection

I was wondering if anyone figured out how to best attach the domino to a regular dust collector with a 4" port. Should you buy a festool hose and run an adapter at the collector or attach the adapter to the domino and run a regular hose back.

My gut feeling is that it would not have enough suction. There was a thread that mentioned this recently, but I could not find it again.

Gary

The port on machines like this is too small for effective collection from a dust collector. DC's work on the principle of moving a lot of air at low pressure. Small ports require a limited amount of air and the ability to deal with high static pressure...which a shop vac can provide. Use the Festool CT if you have one or another shop vac for best results with the Domino or other small tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know the diameters of the dust port on the domino to figure out how to adapt it to a 2.5" hose?

Randy,

The OD of the Domino's dust port is 28 mm -about 1 1/8".

David

The rubber vac hose adapter that Home Depot sells works just fine on a Domino if you cut out the two middle sections for use. My Jet 650 DC works just fine to evacuate the Domino.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jon and David, that's what I was looking for.

Well, I picked up my first Festool today - the Domino of course, as I didn't have a biscuit joiner and figured this would be a much better investment. However I was caught off guard when the lady told me I had to by a Festool CT vacuum TOO to be able to use it!! Pretty much I told her to stuff it and I was going to try to see if there's a way to use adapt down my Rigid... I know they'll jam if the chips are not evacuated, but has anyone tried to use it without the vacuum attached??

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Preston View Post
    Well, I picked up my first Festool today - the Domino of course, as I didn't have a biscuit joiner and figured this would be a much better investment. However I was caught off guard when the lady told me I had to by a Festool CT vacuum TOO to be able to use it!! Pretty much I told her to stuff it and I was going to try to see if there's a way to use adapt down my Rigid... I know they'll jam if the chips are not evacuated, but has anyone tried to use it without the vacuum attached??
    I use a shop vac with a hepa filter with the domino and it works just fine. Its louder than a festool CT but I wear hearing protection anyway.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Charley,

Yes, you can use your Festool with your Ridgid vac.

Take a look at some photos here.

You need a Porter-Cable 73333 Dust Collection System .

Charley, Last night I was using the Domi and for the heck of it I took off the CT for a minute and quite a bit of dust came out, I was seting up bench dogs made with dominos. I cut about 10 slots with the largest 10mm at 15mm deep, bit but only cut two slots without the CT connected, a bit of a mess...

Thanks Guys - I'll probably pick up that porter cable kit. I'll also see if Festool sells any adapters.

Boy, this is a great site!

Charley,

An alternative to the PC system is to simply buy a Festool hose. The tool end is made for the Domino (and all other Festools). The vac end fits most shop vacs like a charm (I use a Fein). If you dont have a Festool vac, get the regular (not antistatic hose) from Bob Marino -- not too expensive and solves all the adapter and fitting issues in one fell swoop.

Dave

14. Dave - I asked about that when I was at my dealer, but she said just the hose was $108, so unless Bob has a very good price, I like the PC option!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Preston View Post
    Dave - I asked about that when I was at my dealer, but she said just the hose was $108, so unless Bob has a very good price, I like the PC option!!
    Ask your dealer to order you item # 452-877 -the 11.5m long, 27mm Diameter, non anti-static hose. The price is $54.50.

Bob
    bob m