Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple Compote

Curly Maple Compote

Had some curly maple boards that were so warped they could never be used for flatwork. Started off making a set of large candleholders but the wife didn’t like them – so, removed the tops and turned them into compotes. My biggest design criteria was simply to showcase the wood. They are intended for use as a dining room / kitchen table centerpieces. As both compotes are very similar I figured I would only post one of them.
    Compote Profile.jpg Compote Top.jpg Compote Side.jpg Compote Bottom.jpg
    Overall height: 6 7/8”
    Top Diameter: 10 ˝”
    Depth of top: 5/8” with thickness tapering from 1/8” on edge to 5/16” at center
    Pedestal: 4 7/8” x 1 7/8” at largest diameter
    Base Diameter: 5”
    Finish: 2 coats Watco Natural Danish Oil, 7 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly, buffed
    Known problem areas: very small random areas of chip-out on the top, pedestal/top joinery separated as the glue was drying (figure I didn’t have it weighted down correctly)

As always your comments / critiques are welcome.

In keeping with the post that Chris started on ‘real/true’ critiques I ask for your input as to what you like/dislike about the compote, the form, the finish, etc. and what – if anything – I should modify in order to improve. Be honest and hopefully we can all learn something.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, I really the finish and think you did a great job in highlighting the wood.
    Ben

Absolutely stunning wood and awesome piece... this one is very hard to find something wrong with. After looking at it a couple minutes I thought maybe the stand/base (spindle part) was a tad too long in relation to the diamter of platter. I also the the foot might be a bit heavy, but this is a bolder piece so it was hard to tell. The base is hard to criticize because it shows off that grain beautifully Anyway, I am curious to see others comments... it would be easier to critique it in person... this one looks pretty close to perfect
    Isaiah 55:6-7

That is extremely pretty! Ratio of base diameter to top diameter is spot on. So is the height/diameter of the column. Great piece!

Wow...a lot of action in that beautiful maple! Nice work on a great centerpiece!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work Steve, everything looks great. but I thought compote was what you spread on the garden .... or like a tart with fruit .....
    John 3:16

Thumbs up

Steve, I find this piece to be absolutely stunning. I love the graining in this piece, but I would take a little bit off the top of the spindle--maybe half an inch, so the base/spindle flows into the bottom of the top rather than looking like the two individual pieces that it is. Of course, now that it's glued together, it would be a little difficult to take apart to make any modifications, but if you try a similar piece, you might want to take that into consideration. Otherwise, it's a gorgeous piece and I'd be proud to have it in the middle of my dining table.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Don't know but I would have made the base to be weighted with lead and plugged, personally. Nothing worse than a tippy table ornament. Nice wood, no doubt. If only we could teach those sawyers to give us more quarter versus more flat grain, eh?

Wow! This is fantastic! I don't see anything I don't like but there's an awful lot I do. It goes without saying that the wood is gorgeous but you really did a nice job showing it off. The finish is "So Fine"! The pedestal/base looks nice and sturdy without looking clunky, and I really like the stem design.

Top-shelf work, Steve. Congrats!

Steve it is beautiful. The wood is really stunning. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve, let me first say I agree with everyone about the wood and basic form. I don't think I have seen that much figure in a work before and it is beautiful. Jonathon brings up an interesting point and then when Nancy confirms it. It really does stand to reason. I would certainly see that as a valid point. My thoughts center around the dish part of the turning. This is only a question, because the photos are not quite close enough to really see. I can't tell if the inside bottom edge is sharp and defined or if there is a somewhat recessed cut in the bottom that is defining it. If the second is the case, then, is that what was intended or were you having difficulty there? If the edge is just sharp and distinct then please take no notice of this question. I do think you have done a wonderful job on this and you should be very proud of it.
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 04-10-2007 at 8:28 AM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

That is a wonderful way to show off that spectacular wood, great job.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Steve, overall a really great job. Great wood and finish. The only thing I see that I would change would be to have the platter rounded rather than a sharp corner. The proportions/size look good to me. Great job !!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Not owning a compote, I first had to google it to see what one was.

From the pics I saw, the proportions look great. I agree with George about weighting the base so it doesn't get tippy when you've got the top loaded with an assortment of fruit like a Carmen Miranda hat.

The wood is beautiful!

Thats some very nice eye candy. Great save on the crooked board.